X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Do you ever just hit a stall point

Sometimes, like the current bookcase I'm working on, I just hit a stall point near the end where I just can't seem to really finish a project and I have to really push myself to do it. I start thinking about the next project I guess and it seems I just can't do that last few hours worth of work. This long weekend I'll buckle down and get there as I really need the room this is consuming back. Anyone else ever have that problem?
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Totally, I took on some major modifications to the older motorhome i bought last fall and it has taken almost all my time and energy. It is a chev diesel and I'm installing twin remote turbos and added a gearvendors overdrive. that means my shop has been in the grease mode instead of the sawdust mode. for the last six months. It is time to get back to wood working.
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I look at the work and think about how much time gone into it, and how "perfect" I think it is, and then I'm afraid to do anything else to mess it up -- even if it's not finished!
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Cubsfan
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • CO.

Always. It's the worst for me when I'm doing a project that I only sort of want to do. I joined the Wood Whisperer guild awhile back, and decided to do the wall hanging cabinet. Great project, and great videos, but I don't really need the cabinet. It's hard to finish a project that you don't really need.

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

Usually when I hit that point, I finally realize that I am having trouble selecting which lumber to use where. I then force myself to make tough decisions, or buy more lumber. I don't know why I get hung up at this point, because after I get over that hump it is usually easy to finish the project - except for finishing that is. I usually get hung up again with the finish.
          Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• smorris
            • Apr 2003
            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

The finishing prep is always a point where I sit an look at the project and realize that with very little effort I can completely screw it up.
            --
            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

I used to procrastinate, but I simply don't have the time to do that anymore.
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

In Japan, it took me 3 years to finish my router center, 3 years to finish LOML's hutch, and 5 years to do my daughter's two book cases. I didn't see it as procrastination, but rather I knew how I wanted it to be in the end and could visualize it but something just wasn't right. I would set it aside and "think" on it for a month, or a few months. Sometimes it meant re-ordering hinges or knobs, or even researching the kind of finish I wanted. Then I had to wait for the time to work on it after getting those things.

To me, in each of those items it was worth the wait, I had no regrets at my so called procrastination, and ended up with flatwork that I didn't second guess or look back and wish I had done it different.

To me, a second part of that urge to "just stop" comes into play is this - the passion or energy for project has plateaued. And to me, I don't mind waiting until I can visualize the end again and go at it with full energy and passion. The results are usually worth the wait! . . .

. . . with the exception of LOML pushing me to complete something!
                Last edited by leehljp; 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by leehljp
                  To me, a second part of that urge to "just stop" comes into play is this - the passion or energy for project has plateaued. And to me, I don't mind waiting until I can visualize the end again and go at it with full energy and passion. The results are usually worth the wait! . . .
                  +1

I definitely hit my walls. I'm in one now. I've put a lot of hours just prepping
                  the wood but am I at a do or die point.

Some things where details don't really matter, I know I've got to power
                  through it.

However, as Hank said, for other projects, it pays to take your time. Go
                  work on something else that will give you quick satisfaction and come back to
                  what you were doing.

Sometimes I actually dream about the next steps in my sleep. After a few
                  nights like that, the idea is locked in and I can get to it. It's usually a very
                  rewarding outcome.

Paul

Comment

• bullethead1964
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006
                    • texas
                    • Craftsman (Emerson era)

I'm like Hank and Paul. Every project I've rushed, I've ruined. I like to take my time and it's normal for me to have a "pause" in a project as I think out furtire steps. My work has gotten better and I cringe at some of the projects I was "satisfied" with in the past. I want my work to be much better now, and I'm still got good enough to rush it.
                    I said I want to touch the earth
                    I want to break it in my hands
                    I want to grow something wild and unruly

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

Working...