• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

How to fix whirligig?

The whirligig I got as a Christmas present from my wife a few years back was damaged in a wind storm. One of the four blades snapped off the round hub. The blades are made of 1/8" hardboard--or close which is the problem. I can't find new hardboard the same thickness so I think it's best if I remake the blades and hub.

The blades are straight and they are set in angled slots in the hub. The hub is round. I thought I would start by drilling a hole in center of a square block to accept the propeller shaft. Then I'd cut the angled slots and finally I'd cut the blOck round and glue/tack in the new props.

How do I cut those angled slots in the hub?
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Start with a square cross section stick about a foot long. That way you can safely hold it with the miter fence/sliding miter table. Once the angled cuts are made, slice off the end piece.

mpc

Comment

• All Thumbs
      Established Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Penn Hills, PA
      • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Any real lumber yard should have 1/8" tempered hardboard that is smooth two sides.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I did something like that a long time ago on my TS by making a 3/4" by 2" by about 12" extension for the miter gauge (On the SMT miter gauge on my BT).

• Makes sure the blade is raised all the way and at a 45° angle
        • Clamp the piece to the miter gauge with the extension extended beyond the end of the blade about 2 inches or so.
        • Make a cut on the board just so that it barely cuts through the top.
        Mark the extension board where it is located on the miter gauge.
        • Remove board and make a V notch centered where the cut is on the extension board.
        •.Place the extension board back on the miter gauge and clamp it to the miter gauge.
        • Place the hub into the notch. And make sure that the hub is marked at 90° intervals.
        • Align the hub's 90° marks with the back of the V.

Make your cuts.

It should cut perfectly now.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

how to fix whirlygig?

I had basically the same problem with mine about a year ago, only one busted wing, but I wound up replacing them both at the same time. The best wings
          are made out of some scrap vinyl siding left over from a siding job nearby or
          go to home depot or lowe's in their window blinds dept. and buy a small scrap
          piece of left over blind material. It works well for whirlygig wings and won't
          deteriorate outside in the weather like hardboard does.

Comment

Working...