• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cubsfan
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • CO.

16/4 Oak

I've got a project where I'm going to need some 4x4 Oak. Specifically I'll need a 4x4x72 post (though I'll probably do it in three sections, so 3 4x4x24's would work).

Anyone know of a good place I can get it? Occasionally I've seen 16/4, but when dimensioned it'll be less than 4". It's going to be used for a coat rack, so while I could glue up a couple of pieces, I'm worried that the seams would be pretty apparent. Any thoughts?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Would boxing out ¾" work?

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I have seen bat blanks sold, but those are generally ash and are usually just over 3" square. I built the NYW trundle bed that called for 3" square oak posts. I just laminated 4 3/4"pieces. If you look close you can see the seems, but you really need to look for them.
      Joe

Comment

• Cubsfan
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • CO.

Short answer: I don't know

I'll be building something similar to this:

I'll be tapering it down to 3" square at the top, so I'm not sure how the angles could line up there.

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

I guess if you have enough money you can get anything, but I've never seen 16/4 oak.
          I think your only real choices are to laminate it or box it out as c man said.

That is going to be one heavy (and heavy duty) coat rack!

they don't give all the specs on the Ethan Allen website, I'm thinking that rack is boxed out and still not 4".
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

I would try to box it as Mike suggests and if you taper cut put a piece of 2.5x2.5 inside the box at that area (if understand your intent correctly.)
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
              I would try to box it as Mike suggests and if you taper cut put a piece of 2.5x2.5 inside the box at that area (if understand your intent correctly.)
              Having all the information, like it being tapered, or the link for a picture would have been a help in making suggestions. If it's boxed out (either butted sides, or a waterfall), the material amount would be pretty much the same as a glue up of four pieces.

If boxed out with miters, all the grain would be vertical as in other methods, but there may be some differential in the miter gaps if not done well. A filler piece could be used in the top section. Being as grainy as Red Oak is, the glue lines may fall in some accordance with the grain. In that case, a boxed piece would offer a more dispersed glue line pattern than a glue up of four pieces having three glue lines ¾" apart.

Comment

• cork58
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                • BT3000

I agree with C MAN! Let us see how it comes out. Very interesting idea you have there.
                Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Don't know where to find it, especially dry. You could try a local sawmill.

You could miter it all, especially if you wanted quartersawn on all sides. There was some discussion in the last year about different methods for doing it. I think it came up in one of Sarge's build threads.
                  Erik

Comment

• natausch
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Aurora, IL
                    • BT3000 - 15A

Reclaimed is probably the way to go, unless you want to box up it can be had somewhat inexpensively for Red/White Oak. At that size though checking can be a significant issue. Based on your signature I'm thinking maybe Chicago-land?

Hoffman down in Sycamore or Old Growth in Hampshire will probably have what you need. Generally they deal in larger quantities, but probably worth a call. Otherwise there are a few companies up near Rockford and past Crystal Lake that deal in barn demolition to reclaimed lumber.

If you're going the box up method miter locking the edges will work best to keep them tight. A standard miter would very likely lead to glue drift since you have a two plane clamping setup.

Comment

Working...