X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

New Wood worker, Need Guidance

I would like to make something similiar to the picture. What tools would I need to do this? Is this achievable?

I currently have bandsaw, tablesaw(bt3), router, dremmel.

Thanks guys!

• cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by mackmack
    I would like to make something similiar to the picture. What tools would I need to do this? Is this achievable?

I currently have bandsaw, tablesaw(bt3), router, dremmel.

Thanks guys!

You have the tools. Maybe some hand tools and some items for sanding. Cool gorilla. You going to make it life size?

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I would strongly recommend at least a benchtop drill press. I can tell from the pict that the hinges are probably dowels. Never the less, I have experienced trying to align hinge parts like that before. It goes much better with a drill press than a hand drill.

... unless it is for display only and no moving joints.
      Last edited by leehljp; 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mackmack
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006

I will look into a drill press.

In regards to technique, do you guys have any suggestions? I have never worked on shaping wood like this. I have made boxes and cabinets but this will be my first endeavor into "sculpting".

How would you do the detail work on the head for example? Is that hand tools or dremmel work?

Lastly, to make the joints movable, are there some sort of ball and socket hardware I can get?

Thanks.

Without perspective the picture makes this look massive... it's really about 10x5 and can fit in your hand.

I would like to do other animals as well.

Comment

• mackmack
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006

Sorry to post so much here guys, just excited to try this.

One more question, are there any books you guys can recommend or websites to help me out? I looked on amazon and found a lot of detailed animal carving stuff that was intricate... not looking for that, I want to do more of the blocky, "cartoon" style for lack of a better word. here is another example below.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Mack,

What you are asking for - is found in experience as much as technique and tools. I would cut as close as possible with a band saw and then use a sander to shape it to close to final shape.

To my eye, it looks like the final shape of each piece was done with a buffing pad or those flap type sanding wheels. Some of the edges are almost too smooth and consistent for most hand jobs but there are folks that are that skilled. I would look to get it to shape and then use flap type of buffers or sanders to bring the edges and wood to a sheen.
            Last edited by leehljp; 01-21-2011, 10:47 PM.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Do you have a good pocketknife with a sheep's foot blade? Alternatively a carving knife or set of carving tools.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Warren
                Established Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Anchorage, Ak
                • BT3000

This is "Hano" the gorilla. More pictures are available at www.davidweeksstudio.com. It is articulated in the same manner as an artist's posing model through the use of elastic bands. I'd use a drill press for the eye ridge and finger curve. A band saw appears to be able to handle the main shaping and detail cutting.

If I was attempt this I'd do some serious cutting diagrams to minimize hand shaping, then carefully mark out the cuts on the blocks of wood. The torso alone appears to need a minimum six? cuts and the pelvis about the same and the head . . . eight?

The designer makes them from beech. Easy to work with.
                A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• wd4lc
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Houston, TX
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

Reminds me of this video that I saw awhile back. Very cool stuff but you'll wince a few dozen times watching him do it. Way too close for comfort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

That's some work I don't think I'd want to try, pretty complex, more power to you!

Cabinetman mentioned hand tools, I'll second that. Drawknives and spokeshaves would make quick work on shaping a lot of those parts.
                    Erik

Comment

• Warren
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Anchorage, Ak
                      • BT3000

With regard to books and characters unless you just want to copy other people, grab a hunk of wood and start cutting and carving. To steal a phrase, cut off everything that does not look like a gorilla and . . . there you go.

In the case of "Hama", it is whimsical so you have a lot of leeway with regard to shape and proportion. I think I would try doing the head first. I'd decide on the size, cut a block of scrap, draw some lines and start cutting, noting what works and what doesn't. Just keep refining your techniques. I'm betting that after two or three practice heads you would feel pretty confident in what you are doing.

My best advice is to have a plan and then go forth and make sawdust. Refine the plan and continue on. You are either going to end up with the gorilla or some tooth picks.
                      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

A technique that was probably used, or at least can be used is this: with a block of wood, draw the outline on three sides for each side's respective profile. Cut with a scroll saw. Take the cut off piece and place it back onto the block. Tie thread around it and use a little CA (superglue) on the thread to hold the block together. Then cut another side, repeat the thread and CA. When all three sides are cut, then you can take the shaped part out of the block.

Just for clarification - by keeping it in block form, it is easier to cut each side correctly (from a flat bottom side.)

The above technique is the same principle as the link in wd4lc's post above. If you are skilled, you won't need the thread and glue, but until your skill level reaches that of the fellow on the youtube post, it is very helpful to use thread and a little CA to hold the block together.

From the cut block, you can begin to shape it with a knife, chisel or sander, and in some cases band saw, drill press etc.
                        Last edited by leehljp; 01-22-2011, 02:26 PM.
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• mackmack
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2006

Thanks for the great insight and help guys! I will update my progress with pictures here and go from there.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Russell, NY, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah, bandsaw magic, sort of! I've seen this demo at a couple of wood shows in the past. Real neat, more than I want to try; the guy doing the cutting has done this so many times he probably could do it blind folded. Still great.
                            RuffSawn
                            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

Actually, what I would do is to first use some blocks of oasis like florists use. Any kind of foam blocks really. I would especially use this if I wanted to design a little different, but either way it will help you see just what type profiles you need and like. It would be much easier to change it on the fly too.
                              Then when you like it all together, you have a pattern that you can duplicate in wood. You can articulate the foam using just a piece of wire to get an idea of the finished animal.
                              Keep us posted. I'd like to see the results.
                              Lee

Comment

Working...