• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman71
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008

Finish question

Hi All,

I am making a Ben Franklin library chair out of Ambrosia Maple. I am finishing up all the detail sanding and other fun stuff and about ready to start applying finish. LOML wants to retain the natural color and look of this wood I want a good hard durable and "simple" to apply product. What advice can you give me.

Thanks
    jeepman71
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

If you can spray, try a sample with waterbase polyurethane.

Comment

• jeepman71
      Established Member
      • Nov 2008

Thanks for the reply Cabnetman.

I used to do auto paint and body but I no longer have the equipment to spray with. Would this work well in a brush on application? I guess I could try rattle can, is this available in rattle can?

Jeepman71

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

It might be in spray can. You could brush it on. Or, you could use a wipe on version of an oil base polyurethane, but that will add some ambering to the finish.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I believe Minwax has spray can and wipe on versions of their waterbased products, look for the turquois labeling.
          Erik

Comment

• cork58
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Wasilla, AK, USA.
            • BT3000

Cabinetman advised me about a "wipe on" finish a couple of years ago. That being said it does produce a yellowing affect. I love it though. I do alot in Maple, both hard and soft and like the affect it gives. I make my own, just like he told me how, although there is many ways to go about it. Just in how fast it dries, color, and how many coats you will need.

There is also Shellac again there are quite a few different colors, mixing methods, and results. This is something that you can wipe on as well.

Any type of wipe on product "you" can decide what the outcome will be. Just be sure to use some scraps so you can see what will happen.

My thanks to the Cabinetman for his wise information about finishes and his other great advice.
            Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

Working...