Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Buying plywood in Northern Wisconsin

No, I am not moving to Wisconsin

A friend mine who lives in Manitowac (sp?) is getting interested in doing some basic woodworking such as bookcases and shelves. I am not sure what kind of wood he was looking at but he got a shock by the plywood prices at his local Lowe's and was wondering where else he could look for wood supplies (both sheet & solid).

Anybody in the area can help with a few sources? He does travel to Milwaukee frequently so anywhere in between would be great!

Many Thanks in Advance
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

If the ply prices at Lowes shocked him then he doesn't stand much of a chance elsewhere either. Although he certainly can do better on hardwoods at other places than the big box stores. Tell him to check out www.woodfinder.com

Comment

• pack04
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2006

I live in Green Bay, which is about 40 minutes north of Manitowoc. I don't go through much plywood and usually buy a sheet at at time from HD.

A friend of my is a small cabinet maker and is familiar with all of the local lumber yards and has his favorites for what he needs. For plywood, he recommends Bay Ridge Building Supply. He said that their plywood has fewer voids, better quality and is price competitive.

Bay Ridge Building Supply Inc
      2446 Bay Settlement Road, Green Bay, WI 54311-7389 (920) 468-1023

Milwaukee is a minimum 1 hour and 20 minutes south of Manitowoc, so Green Bay would be shorter but out of his way.

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
        • BT3000 (1998)

Thank you both for the info! It is appreciated! I will pass it on to him.

On my last trip to Wisconsin I did take him for a little shopping tour to HF in Green Bay so he should be familiar with the city . BTW - We also went to Rockler & Woodcraft when he had to go back to
        Milwaukee. Did I miss any other good store??
        Turaj (in Toronto)
        "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

Woodworkers Depot in Green Bay is a good place for tool drool.

http://www.woodworkersdepot.com/

Their website is of little use.
          Brian

Comment

Working...