• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Maple C-Tail, Dining Rm Set

Yesterday I had to replace a defective drawer slide on some work I did about 10 years ago. If I had pictures of this work they were lost a long time ago. So, while I was there took some pictures, but felt out of place asking to have "stuff" removed for a picture. So, these shots were what I could take.

The first is a dining set. The finish is Red Oak with a pickled finish. The table is 5'x5', with a tambour pedestal. The chairs are straight ladderback design (not my design), with an upholstered cushion seat and splat. The chairs are 8/4 Red Oak, all M&T joinery, no fasteners.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rani3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	797241
    This Maple cocktail table is 3'x3', with ¾"glass. There is a tapered pedestal with an inlaid southwestern design veneer top.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rani1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	797242

• Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Nice looking stuff. I especially like the dining set. And the cocktail table design is interesting in it's own right.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Ed62
      Nice looking stuff. I especially like the dining set. And the cocktail table design is interesting in it's own right.

Ed

Thanks for the response. Hey Ed, since this is in the "Projects" section, makes me wonder why all those that commented on "non-woodworking" related posts don't have any comments. Maybe it's because of all the joinery involved. Or maybe nobody likes inlays.

But it doesn't matter. Work is work whether it's new or old. Actually that "old" work has held up well with a waterbased polyurethane finish.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Those are great pieces, C-Man. It must have been really cool to revisit something you did 10 years ago. That would be fun. It must have felt great to walk in a and see everything still in great shape.
        Joe

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Nice work Mike. Always satisfying to see a piece has held up well over time, and is well cared for, as these appear to be.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I must have missed this thread the other day. Cool Stuff!

Tambour pedistal? I'd like to hear more. Those chairs look cool, but I bet they're not too comfortable.

Was that dyed wood for the inlayed design on the coffee table? It looks blue (probably turquois). That 3/4" glass probably didn't even need a pedistal in the middle. Maple ply for the bottom or did you glue up a slab?
            Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by pelligrini

Tambour pedistal? I'd like to hear more. Those chairs look cool, but I bet they're not too comfortable.
              The pedestal is made with circle cut centers as vertical dividers. Added to them are coopered lumber pieces making the circumference solid wood. Added to that is ¾" half round Red Oak strips, making up the tambour.

Actually the chairs are more comfortable than they look. I couldn't talk them into any angle. They wanted a straight ladderback design.

Originally posted by pelligrini
              Was that dyed wood for the inlayed design on the coffee table? It looks blue (probably turquois). That 3/4" glass probably didn't even need a pedistal in the middle. Maple ply for the bottom or did you glue up a slab?
              The inlay was dyed befor being inlaid. It's in a Southwestern theme that they used. The base is ¾" Maple ply. Glued up solids that size would have been too unstable.

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

That is nice work. I especially like the cocktail table, is that your design?

Comment

Working...