X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman71
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008

Walnut cuttting board?????

Will a walnut cutting board be a problem for someone with alergies to nuts?

Jim
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

My understanding is that once sealed it should not. I have bad nut reactions and have never had any problems with walnut.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Slightly off topic, I suppose, but I found this really interesting.
      On a flight last week, the flight attendant came on the loudspeaker and announced that there was a young man on board who had severe peanut allergies.
      Everyone on the plane was asked to refrain from eating anything with peanuts, including perhaps a peanut butter sandwich!
      I guess these allergies can be so severe that they could be affected by it just being 'in the air'?? I was surprised.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by herb fellows
        Slightly off topic, I suppose, but I found this really interesting.
        On a flight last week, the flight attendant came on the loudspeaker and announced that there was a young man on board who had severe peanut allergies.
        Everyone on the plane was asked to refrain from eating anything with peanuts, including perhaps a peanut butter sandwich!
        I guess these allergies can be so severe that they could be affected by it just being 'in the air'?? I was surprised.
        With the closed-air system in airplanes, I'm not. I can't attest to the validity of the claim, but I can see where the caution would come from.

Point of interest: the refining process that gives us the common peanut oil you find in fryers removes the protein that causes the allergy.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by herb fellows

Yes, in general, although I would wonder about the peanut butter.

I had a sleep apnea test done at a local hospital and, before checking in for the test, the attendants made doubly sure that I had nothing containing vinyl with me -- not even foam pillows. I asked why and was told that one of the attendants had a severe allergy to vinyl and couldn't even be in the same hospital suite with the stuff. I do know that amazingly tiny amounts of allergens can trigger a very severe anaphylactic reaction but I was somewhat surprised by the entire hospital suite restriction. With those reactions it is way better to be safe than sorry - - having an "over abundance" of caution is not at all inappropriate.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

The peanut butter concern comes from you having a little on your hands then you handle something that later person with the allergy touches.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...