Hi,
Question: As the clear finish of the chair was just finished in a shellac (not the de-waxed sealer, but Zinser's amber shellac in the yellow can), could I spray a tint or dye of some sort right on top to get an even coat of Red Mahogany? Followed, of course with a few coats of shellac or lacquer? The goal is to mask over the wood grain and deliver an even color. I'm looking for a recommendation on a product or process that would achieve this and ideally without a complete redo.
Some background:
I just refinished our 10 year old Woodstock recliner chair and though it came out great, in my opinion, LOML can't stand it. Though she saw it in progress and even picked out the stain, Minwax "Provencial", it's not what she expected and wants the woodgrain masked over (it does pop quite a bit). After some more discussion, what she really wants is smooth, even grain masking dark red Mahogany as you'll see in a lot of the newer import furniture these days.
Lesson learned: don't believe what they tell you - make a sample or model first! it will save some pain...
Here's an example of a newer generation of the chair, but similar to the finish I gave it:
http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/Etha...470&height=470
Here's a sample of the dark mahogany I'm hoping to attain:
http://www.hillcrossfurniture.co.uk/...1089_image.jpg
Thanks!
Tom
Question: As the clear finish of the chair was just finished in a shellac (not the de-waxed sealer, but Zinser's amber shellac in the yellow can), could I spray a tint or dye of some sort right on top to get an even coat of Red Mahogany? Followed, of course with a few coats of shellac or lacquer? The goal is to mask over the wood grain and deliver an even color. I'm looking for a recommendation on a product or process that would achieve this and ideally without a complete redo.
Some background:
I just refinished our 10 year old Woodstock recliner chair and though it came out great, in my opinion, LOML can't stand it. Though she saw it in progress and even picked out the stain, Minwax "Provencial", it's not what she expected and wants the woodgrain masked over (it does pop quite a bit). After some more discussion, what she really wants is smooth, even grain masking dark red Mahogany as you'll see in a lot of the newer import furniture these days.
Lesson learned: don't believe what they tell you - make a sample or model first! it will save some pain...
Here's an example of a newer generation of the chair, but similar to the finish I gave it:
http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/Etha...470&height=470
Here's a sample of the dark mahogany I'm hoping to attain:
http://www.hillcrossfurniture.co.uk/...1089_image.jpg
Thanks!
Tom

Comment