• Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman46
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Holland Michigan
    • BT3000

Fixing a cut in aluminum casting.

This weekend, I went to a Garadge sale that aadvertised tools, and I ran into a Gil-Built 6 X 48 in belt sander. When I was a kid, I wanted one of these things real bad. Now, at 65 yrs old,I found it and bought it. I noticed that the belt hadrubbed the edge oof the aluminum base. My thought is to use som JB Weld after cleaning the area with a cleaner. The belt ground a groove about 2/3 of the way through the alluminum. Do You think that I will get enough strengh by repairing this way? I can tear it down and have it welded back up Give Me Your input. Thanks it return, The Dutchman
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Are you sure it's aluminum and not Stainless? Seems to me that if there are parts in danger of being rubbed, they would be stainless steel instead. I don't remember any rub plates on the big sanders we had in cabinet shops.
    Just the platen parts that went behind the belts. They were all SS.

Can you shoot a picture of it?
    Lee

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I'd try to JB weld it first, if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything but some time and jb weld. Welding cast aluminum is tough at best and may warp it.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Dutchman46
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2006
        • Holland Michigan
        • BT3000

Yes, I will get a picture, and it is aluminum. It is a kit built unit that You could buy years ago. no Stainles in it. The platten is some kind of hard surface like lamimet. Not sure if they had that back then.
        Last edited by Dutchman46; 07-29-2010, 06:44 AM. Reason: Trying pics

Comment

• Dutchman46
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2006
          • Holland Michigan
          • BT3000

Sorry, I have a new computer with win 7. I will have to find out how to add My software to it/ SORRY no pics I do have pics. Not always What I want, You can see the cut as it moves around the pulley. I will try again to find a better software that will work with My camera.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dutchman46; 07-30-2010, 06:37 PM. Reason: needed to manage

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Dutchman46
            Sorry, I have a new computer with win 7. I will have to find out how to add My software to it/ SORRY no pics

I have the same problem now! Plug my camera in and get "no available driver"... first real complaint I have about windoz 7
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Dutchman46
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2006
              • Holland Michigan
              • BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              I have the same problem now! Plug my camera in and get "no available driver"... first real complaint I have about windoz 7
              Now, I have another problem! The Co. that furished the software for My camera is no longer ln the camera bussiness, I am fighting with the XP software, and tring to twist a picture, of so.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

HF, Northern tools, and your local welding supply shops, carry some aluminum rods that you use a propane torch to fix stuff. (sold at home shows for a LOT more) While not as strong as a weld, it is for fixing aluminum, and should be stronger then JB weld.

I've seen it under different brands (googling aluminum welding rods shows several)

Here is a video just to give you an idea what to look for:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWxYK3VFysw
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Dutchman46
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Aug 2006
                  • Holland Michigan
                  • BT3000

Thanks for the replies, I think the rod is neat. I don't think that it would work well in this application. The area to be repaired is mot uniform enought to try welding, unles Your a pro. I fear that I might blow out the aluminum where I am welding because it isnt thin . Areas are that are very close. There would be a lot of demo needed. The bearings, and most of unit woud need to be broke down. Years ago, when in the body bussiness, I worked with white metal, or pot metal when new parts wern't available. That was terrible. zand this looks like it would be the same. Thanks for the suggestion, and I may need to do it if the epoxy doesn't work. Thanks all, and I'll report.

Comment

Working...