X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Upcoming project: knock-down kitchen table

Our family is going to soon be outgrown of our current kitchen table. There are three kids, and once the little one can start sitting in a regular seat, we'll need a larger surface.

As part f our ongoing home improvement saga, I'm planning on making this project part of my Christmas present to my wife. From looking at plans on the plansnow website for it, I feel I have a good handle on the base. The top is where I need some advice.In the article, they did a plank and cleat, a glued slab, and a breadboard with a ply center.

Our current knock-down table has to be at least 30 years old, handed down to me from my parents. If we can find room to store it, I'm going to refinish it and hand it down again. If I want the new table to last that long, which way would you do in making the top? I believe with the addition of my planer, I now have all the tools I need to make something that will look great.

Thanks in advance.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What do you mean by "knock down table"? Can you be specific, like post a picture of exactly the type of "knock down table" you're referring to?

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

It took awhile, but I finally found a picture illustrating it.

That picture shows M&T as well. On a knockdown, the rails aren't directly attached to the legs. Hence if you removed the two bolts connecting the leg to the stretcher, you could 'knock it down.'

I could certainly try M&T, but this would be a faster option, and I could concentrate on the top.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
        The top is where I need some advice.In the article, they did a plank and cleat, a glued slab, and a breadboard with a ply center.

For a top selection, a hardwood plywood with a solid wood edging would be my choice. You don't need breadboard ends with a plywood field.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Will a plywood top last, and be of high enough quality to be considered something you hand down? I realize it somewhat depends on the flavor of the ply, but I hadn't actually considered it something to be commonly done.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

If you're concerned about nicks and dings that could penetrate the veneer of plywood, use a multiple glue up of solid wood and use either breadboard ends or plain ends and just run a detail profile around the perimeter.

Some of the beauty of old used tables may be admired by the evidence of wear. At least a solid wood table can be "surfaced" if necessary.

Comment

Working...