• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Anyone Try One Of These?

After a few hours of sanding with a ROS, or a finishing sander, my hand gets quirky numb. Has anyone tried this anti-vibration glove?
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I haven't, but I'd sure want to give it a try. My hands feel strange after 1/2 an hour. I think I might be willing to pay twice as much for it only of it worked half assed.

Makita's new BO5041 looks intresting too. http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...aspx?ID=316437 I think that handle could cut down on a lot of fatigue.
    Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by pelligrini
      I haven't, but I'd sure want to give it a try. My hands feel strange after 1/2 an hour. I think I might be willing to pay twice as much for it only of it worked half assed.

Makita's new BO5041 looks intresting too. http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...aspx?ID=316437 I think that handle could cut down on a lot of fatigue.
      That reminds me of the Craftsman ROS that claim "Vibra-Free".

I have some interest in that glove as I use corded finishing sanders and ROS's, and air sanders.

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2006
        • Pittsburgh, PA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
        After a few hours of sanding with a ROS, or a finishing sander, my hand gets quirky numb. Has anyone tried this anti-vibration glove?
        I haven't tried that pair, but I do have and use the anti-vibration gloves (without finger coverings) that Lee Valley sells:

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

I find that they help a lot. Taking frequent breaks and stretching/moving the arms and hands also help. That numb feeling is more than uncomfortable; it can lead to physiological damage, or so I've read.

Joe

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Oooh, I like the fingerless feature.
          Erik

Comment

• dangre
            Norum Fewbie
            • Oct 2009
            • Gardnerville, NV
            • BT3100-1

They don't seem to have these online http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=95545
            But I get them in the store for $8.99 a pair. They're great for turning on the lathe, but I never really paid attention to the antivibration ability.

Dan
            Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I use a pair similar to the HF without fingers for the lawn-mover.. 6" ROS and used to use them on my 5" Bosch and PC ROS's. I purchased a Milwaukee 5" and don't bother with the gloves on that one. For that matter I sold the Bosch and PC and got a second MW 5". The cheaper one's are doing fine when I use them and the fingerless is the way to go IMO as you have feel for finding the start-stop.

Good luck....

Comment

• smorris
                • Apr 2003
                • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I use a set of my old Cannondale bicycle gloves that have a gel insert in the palm when I think to grab them. Any bicycle shop should have them for ~ $25-30.
                --
                Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by smorris
                  I use a set of my old Cannondale bicycle gloves that have a gel insert in the palm when I think to grab them. Any bicycle shop should have them for ~ $25-30.
                  I used some like that for mowing the lawn, until we got a house without a lawn.

C-Man, have you tried the ROS with just your finger tips? On horizontal flat surfaces that is. As my old shop teacher would say, 'Let the tool do the work'. I have issues with my wrists and for me the ROS was a godsend compared to the old vibrating pad sander. The ROS I can guide most of the time and on large surfaces I can just use the vac hose and sort of snake it about. I find that I get a flatter surface this way too.

I'm not trying to tell you how to use your tool, just saying what works for me. I expect for vertical surfaces the gloves would help a lot.

Bill
                  why do they sell 13/32" siding and 1/2" Z flashing?

Comment

• burrellski
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Saint Joseph, MO.

Anyone that operates a sander or grinder at my company is required to wear a similar gel insert anti-vibration glove. Haven't tried them myself, but supposedly they make a big difference.

Comment

• Hoover
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • USA.

Used similar gloves @ Boeing, when I was riveting. Pounding rivets for 2 hours a pop, everything in your hands and forearms go numb.
                      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Hoover
                        Pounding rivets for 2 hours a pop, everything in your hands and forearms go numb.
                        ...which can make for some comical festivities when one takes a trip to the loo...

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Pittsburgh, PA
                          • BT3100

Since this is a tablesaw forum, I was a bit superstitious about calling them "fingerless", but I typically feel the work surface many times during a sanding session; fingertips can find slightly rough areas that look smooth, even under a raking light. So, gloves without fingertips are helpful in that regard, as well as for finding the on/off switch, as Sarge mentioned.

Although the ROS is a pretty safe tool (except for your in regards to your lungs and ears), as are many other oscillating/vibrating tools, I do want to mention that glove usage with cutting tools and rotating tools can be very dangerous; it sometimes happens that a glove gets snagged on a workpiece and dragged into a cutter, or wrapped around a rotating spindle. So, while I recommend anti-vibration gloves for the ROS and similar tools, please don't use them on other tools where they could cost you a finger or a trip to the emergency room. Here again, if you are going to use gloves with those types of machines despite warnings to the contrary, the gloves without fingertips are probably a little safer, as we tend to grip workpieces with our fingertips, and there's less to snag with that type of gloves.

I realize that this got a bit off-topic, but, hey, safety is important and easy to overlook. And safety, as opposed to comfort, is probably the most important reason to use anti-vibration gloves in the first place; the harm done by lengthy and repeated exposure to tool vibration probably does lead to long-term and disabling physiological damage for some tool users, unfortunately.

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by Joe DeFazio

That numb feeling is more than uncomfortable; it can lead to physiological damage, or so I've read.

Joe

You read right. Not just the vibration, but the isometric of holding on to a tool are contributory. I've already had the surgery on both hands (for CTS), which came about 10 years too late. I also suffer from severe tendonitis.

Comment

• Hoover
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • USA.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                              ...which can make for some comical festivities when one takes a trip to the loo...
                              Fortunately @ Boeing, the urinals are wider than most seen elsewhere. The lighting is also brighter than @ other places. Coincidence??? Thanks for your concern!!
                              No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

Working...