• chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Proper orientation of molding

It drives me nuts to see crown hung upside down....grrr

scotia down, scotia down!!! (think laces out from Ace Ventura) lol

Anyways, to my question. So that I don't do what I dislike, when making panels with panel molding on a flat wall (no wainscotting), is there a correct way? I am thinking that the larger flat side would be the side that goes to the interior of the panel. What are your thoughts?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Panel Moulding comes in many shapes and profiles. http://www.houstonhardwoods.com/moul...e=panlm&Page=1
    It often depends on the application. Like if you're putting in around a thicker wood panel on a wall, or the insert is thinner or just sheetrock with a built up frame like structure. I don't think there are really any rules for trimwork. There might be some if you really get into architectural restoration. I like doing a unique design, there's no reason to do the same 'ole same 'ole all the time. We'll often build up different profiles using several pieces.

I usually tend to think of it as a picture frame and go more with what you were thinking.
    Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

This would be applied directly to sheetrock, something like this:

I had a small piece so I cut it into a frame with the square large side to the outside, like a picture frame. I have to disagree, there are some rules to trim, alot of folks don't know them, including me. I do know that they exist and that there are proportions to things. Thanks

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

If you're just applying a strip of moulding to the sheetrock you might look a some of the chair moulding profiles. Maybe something like this: http://www.houstonhardwoods.com/detail.php?Id=0454 The one you showed might look a little off if it's to be just by itself. I think the tall, square, flat side might not look proper. I usually see something like that is usually butted up against some square 1x material.

On the rules, yes, there are common concepts and proportions, but I've never really seen anything difinitive. Sizes, amount of detail, scale etc. is really just part of good design. It might be stricter if you're looking to duplicate some of the trimwork done during a specific period and location.

I've always taken a lot of clues from Andrea Palladio's treatise I quattro libri dell'architettura (The Four Books On Architecture). I've never really tried to actually read it, but there are a bunch of good illustrations.
        Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

There are some "common sense" rules if you want to call them rules on how a moulding is configured. Like with crown, it just looks "right" when the small detail is on the bottom.

Some mouldings just need to be tried out to see which placement looks better, or is complimented by or compliments other moulding.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I agree.
            Molding guys sometimes design their own knives to meet a customers needs. They do it to please themselves sometimes as well. In the end, it is what pleases the buyer that likely means the most. Sure there are some standard moldings that should go a certain way. Don't be afraid to use them differently on other projects though. I often cut small profile cuts of moldings and stack them together to see which profiles I like best. Nothing is cut and dried with regard to what type reveal or profile should be where in every instance. If it looks pleasing to the eye to one, it may do it for more.

For instance, I made my own simple molding on this chess table. No more exist as it was one of a kind. I love seeing moldings and corners and things that I have not seen before. IMO, that differentiates Craftsmen from just Tradesmen.

http://www.leestyron.com/jpg/1sis.jpg
            Last edited by Stytooner; 06-12-2010, 12:54 PM.
            Lee

Comment

• August86
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2009
              • near Athens, GA

Wellll, if you're going by strict rules, that is a piece of base cap and is meant to go on top of 1x's that are installed as base board. It is often used as you've used it, as you've used it. Around here when applied over sheetrock with no actual panel we call 'em shadow boxes. The only such rule that comes to my mind is don't use Howe casing (RB3) as chair rail or crown. I've replaced a door in a house with both, it made me nervous.

Mike D.

Originally posted by chopnhack
              This would be applied directly to sheetrock, something like this:

I had a small piece so I cut it into a frame with the square large side to the outside, like a picture frame. I have to disagree, there are some rules to trim, alot of folks don't know them, including me. I do know that they exist and that there are proportions to things. Thanks

Comment

• August86
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2009
                • near Athens, GA

I agree. And even then the customer or their designer have contrary ideas and even they work. In general on panel boarders the thicker profile out and thinner in. But I've had plan profiles that spec'd the exact opposite.

Mike D.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                There are some "common sense" rules if you want to call them rules on how a moulding is configured. Like with crown, it just looks "right" when the small detail is on the bottom.

Some mouldings just need to be tried out to see which placement looks better, or is complimented by or compliments other moulding.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks all. Lee, I love the detail on the chessboard, really nice work.

Comment

Working...