• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris_B
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Cupertino, CA

*Really* strong 3" hinge??

I need a very strong 3" hinge with very little slop. Door hinge style is fine, but something with larger mounting surfaces would be even better (>2-3" depth with 4+ mounting holes per side would be ideal). Minimum swing is 90 degrees.

This is going to join two 3"x5" fir beams, and will see a lot of strain when the mounting plates are at a 90 deg angle. Thicker is better, and high-quality steel is probably best. The hinge will be at one end of a 3x5" butt-joint, and the other end will be closed with a modified 5/8" bed-bolt style fastener. These are to connect the legs for a folding work bench to the table rails for indoor use.

The hinges at HD/Lowes are not even close, but I haven't been able to find anything suitable at Lee Valley or Rockler either. I am hoping that you guys have some better sources for 'manly' hinges.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

This sounds like a job for McMaster-Carr in Atlanta. They've probably got what you want, because they pretty much have everything... I'd call them and talk about your specific application.

Comment

• August86
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2009
      • near Athens, GA

You may just have to go with a commercial hinge. The 4inch commercials are heavier than you can get at Lowe's/HD but the 4.5 inch hinges will be easier to find. There's always commercial continuous hinges.

Mike D.

Originally posted by Chris_B
      I need a very strong 3" hinge with very little slop. Door hinge style is fine, but something with larger mounting surfaces would be even better (>2-3" depth with 4+ mounting holes per side would be ideal). Minimum swing is 90 degrees.

This is going to join two 3"x5" fir beams, and will see a lot of strain when the mounting plates are at a 90 deg angle. Thicker is better, and high-quality steel is probably best. The hinge will be at one end of a 3x5" butt-joint, and the other end will be closed with a modified 5/8" bed-bolt style fastener. These are to connect the legs for a folding work bench to the table rails for indoor use.

The hinges at HD/Lowes are not even close, but I haven't been able to find anything suitable at Lee Valley or Rockler either. I am hoping that you guys have some better sources for 'manly' hinges.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by August86
        You may just have to go with a commercial hinge. The 4inch commercials are heavier than you can get at Lowe's/HD but the 4.5 inch hinges will be easier to find. There's always commercial continuous hinges.

Mike D.
        That's what I was thinking too. Hager is one of the bigger manufacturers. Maybe something in stainless and ball bearings? http://www.hagerhinge.com/ProductDet...8-001d093554b2
        Erik

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
          • Dec 2002
          • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by Chris_B

I wonder if a strap hinge made for a gate might not work; not sure if this one is adequate, but something along these lines? You might also consider getting a weld-on hinge like these, then welding them to a plate that's bolted to the wood pieces.
          Also, these, and these???
          ==========
          ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
          Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• Chris_B
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Cupertino, CA

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

I may try this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#hinges/=71qkbm.

3" x 3", 0.2" thick stamped steel, with a 7/16" pin & 3/8" mounting holes. I may add a couple of extra mounting holes on the side that will get pulled at 90 deg.

A set of four will cost more than all of the rest of the materials combined, but I think these should be strong enough. The commercial ball-bearing hinges are gorgeous, but I don't need the smooth action or rated cycles - or expense.

Comment

• August86
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2009
              • near Athens, GA

Strap hinges for gates are plenty strong, but sloppy. The tighter they are the quicker they stiffen up with dirt and corrosion. You can tighten them up somewhat but they won't get better than the 3.5 inch hinges that they put on cheaper prehung doors.

Mike D.

Originally posted by Norm in Fujino
              I wonder if a strap hinge made for a gate might not work; not sure if this one is adequate, but something along these lines? You might also consider getting a weld-on hinge like these, then welding them to a plate that's bolted to the wood pieces.
              Also, these, and these???

Comment

• Chris_B
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Cupertino, CA

I eventually ordered a set from Daro, thanks to Norm's link which got me started.

The rep on the phone was cheerfully willing to check and see what they could do in addition to what is on their site, and called back a short time later with just about exactly what I need:

These are 3x3", 0.25" thick, with a 0.5" stainless pin. Total damage, delivered to CA is just under $100.
                I just have to drill my own holes.

Thanks again for the help!
                Last edited by Chris_B; 05-12-2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...