Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Quickie Maloof update

I haven't had as much time to work on the dresser as I'd like. The past 3
    Saturdays have been birthing classes and this weekend is a breastfeeding class.
    I hope I can keep a straight face. I am definitely a boob man. I wonder why
    my wife gave me the stink eye when I asked if we'd be swapping partners.

Anyway, I've been in finishing purgatory. The dresser has been assembled
    for a while and I was having trouble getting to all the nooks on my tall
    assembly table. I had a 20% HF coupon and bought the 1000lb lift cart. I
    bolted on an MDF top and put the dresser on top.

Here it is during one of the in-between-coats-sandings. I'm using Roland
    Johnson's Hot-Rod Varnish from FWW. I really like it. Easy to apply and dries
    fast.

I've been simultaneously working on the drawers, too. I think I mentioned
    earlier that the drawers are screwed and plugged. This time with walnut plugs.
    The drawer fronts have a few coats of varnish then the whole drawer was
    sprayed with shellac to give the sides some color and to seal in any varnish
    smell.

So after 4 coats of varnish, I decided to glue in the rear stretchers. The
    stretcher is only connected to the drawer runners by the tenons. It's not
    glued to the divider or the dresser sides so the dresser can expand and contract
    without restriction. There's more than an 1/8" of space between the divider
    and the stretcher.

Todo:

-Fix the finish on two drawers. I really FUBARed the finish. I need to strip the
    fronts to bare wood and start over. Shouldn't take too long. Just some power
    sanding.

-Apply shellac to the inside of the dresser to seal in any varnish odor. I waited
    to glue in the rear stretchers just so I could finish it easier. Then I go and
    install them tonight only to realize I forgot about the shellac. Oh well.

-I need to make a back for this thing. It will be a frame and panel.

-Steel wool and wax the whole shebang.

How am I doing?
    Paul
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 11-03-2011, 12:43 PM.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
    How am I doing?
    You're doing great!

JR
    JR

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      I hope I can keep a straight face. I am definitely a boob man. I wonder why my wife gave me the stink eye when I asked if we'd be swapping partners.
      It's the baby that supposed to be getting the meal, Paul, not you...

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Looking real good paul!
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

Paul, that looks great.

I'd have to say you're doing a fantastic job on that dresser. Be sure to share the pictures after you've finished. And congratulations for the new upcoming addition to your family! Any idea of boy or girl?

Comment

• Subrosa
            Handtools only
            • Sep 2014
            • UK
            • Record Power 250c

Hey there Paul

I have PM'ed you but I wanted to reply to this post, I really admire this chest of drawers, I am hoping to make a set, from the picture I am unable to gauge the thickness of the drawers fronts and the cabinet sides, I read you were not being specific when thicknessing as you were just going for a uniform size for all parts but I imagine there was a thickness you didn't want to go below.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Subrosa
              Hey there Paul

I have PM'ed you but I wanted to reply to this post, I really admire this chest of drawers, I am hoping to make a set, from the picture I am unable to gauge the thickness of the drawers fronts and the cabinet sides, I read you were not being specific when thicknessing as you were just going for a uniform size for all parts but I imagine there was a thickness you didn't want to go below.
              I just saw your PM--sorry, I was working Thanks for your comments. I just saw your other PM and replied to that, too.

I bought that wood 4/4 and I was able to stay above 3/4" (but not much more) for the carcass and drawer fronts. I built another chest of drawers (it's posted on BT3, too) for my other daughter and started with 4/4+. Those carcass parts ended up closer to 7/8". IMO, I think somewhere between 3/4" to 7/8" is a good thickness. For the 2nd dresser, I was able to use just two boards for each side. I would have preferred to do that for the 1st one, but was limited by what I had.

You don't need to go thick on the drawer fronts, though. Whatever works for your joinery.

If you want to do a true Maloof, I think you should research how he hung the drawers in the carcass. Mine just sit on runners, however, I think his drawers are actually side hung--groove plowed in the side of the drawer box that slides on a runner attached to the inside of the carcass.

BTW, welcome to the forum! If you have pics of the chair construction you PM'ed me, please share! That chair looked great.

Paul
              Last edited by atgcpaul; 09-29-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

If I did it right, there should be 3 full-sized scans from the template I used to shape the sides of the dresser. The dresser width is just shy of 21". The feet profile is in 2 sections. These are also just an approximation of the real thing from a picture.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...