• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Adjustable height computer table?

LOML has always asked for a table she could work at standing, and I thought the idea unworkable (!). But this NYTimes Article made me rethink, and the product from GeekDesk is intriguing.

One customer seems to be very satisfied.

I also asked and got a reply from their customer service (regarding the strength of table and the motor):

The official (i.e. conservative) maximum recommended regular lifting weight for the frames is 176 pounds, which equates to more than enough for the typical top (35-55 lbs), three 24" monitors (~22 lbs apiece), keyboard / mouse, and plenty of desk accessories. The motor and all moving parts come with a two-year warranty, and the steel structural frame comes with a five-year warranty.
    Of course, all that comes for a price , around $600 shipped without the top. LOML was very hpeful when she asked me : "so can't you build that yourself?" For all that I wanted to, I could not say 'yes'. The workability of this concept could only be the ease with which the height can be changed. And I can't think of any other shop-built technique that could provide the same functionality, particularly with a monitor and etc on the top.

The other thing is that the table looks somewhat ugly. I guess I could build a lower cabinet for it to hide some of that.

Ideas, comments, suggestions?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

At my office I use an old mayline drafting table and a good stool as my computer workstation. The top surface is at 38". I put a custom front on the long drawer so the front will be open in the middle. I use it as my keyboard/mouse trey. I can stand or sit, but the table height doesn't need to be changed.
    Erik

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
      At my office I use an old mayline drafting table and a good stool as my computer workstation. The top surface is at 38". I put a custom front on the long drawer so the front will be open in the middle. I use it as my keyboard/mouse trey. I can stand or sit, but the table height doesn't need to be changed.
      Years ago I worked for a retail architectural firm and everyone with a back problem did the same thing.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Cubsfan
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • CO.

I have an adjustable height desk at work. In the last decade, I think it's been raised to standing height twice. I always thought it would be cool to stand to work, but in practice, I really hated it.

Comment

• skillybob
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • Cedar Park, Texas
          • BT3100

At my last job (Network Operations Center for ATT) we all had electric motor adjusted workcenters with three monitors and assorted reference manuals on top.
          We never adjusted the height - never. That's with five years use, 24 hours a day. The desks were all assembled in a pretty standard height and nobody ever moved them. Just food for thought.

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

Too bad your not near here or I,d snatch this one up for ya,.., http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/zip/1711519146.html

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

adjustable height computer table

Erik has a good idea...or pick up a used wooden drafting table from Goodwill
              or a second hand office supply place...probably less than $25.00! I have one in my office....I keep a typewriter on it for typing envelopes and such as needed.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I picked up a non powered version of that from a recycle type store a few years ago. Ugly as sin, but worked. I got tired of looking at it.

Now there have been workbenches posted here, that use scissor jacks, trailer levelers, etc. I would look at them, or the Jackbench, and just build some fancier legs enclosures.

OR, use a laptop and a couch cart!
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Kensrock
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2006

Years ago I came upon this solution. Stand upright, place your arms at your side, bend your elbows to 90 degrees, parallel to the floor, and then measure down 6 inches. That should give you a personnel comfort zone for working at a table. It works for me.

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks guys! It does make sense - instead of spending a fortune just to bring the table up and down, I could build a table for stand-up-work, and then build a really tall chair when she wants to sit down, and hope she doesn't get vertigo!

Tommy, thanks for the offer - that drafting table looked so good I checked the map to see if it was worth it (11+ hours )!

Kensrock, that is a good way to measure, I think. My present table is doesn't give me that last 6", and I think it's that much too high.

The other rule-of-thumb I've heard is that the monitor should be positioned such that its top should be level with the top of the person's head. I guess that means another tall base for the monitor!
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

On the monitor height, I like having my eyes level with the top 1/3.

I work with a lot of big drawings, and to also get my monitors up to the right height I made a stand for them. The stand was more for being able to lay out a 30x42 drawing on my desk without folding it or having it hang over my keyboard. The stand has a 1" opening clear across the front and is supported only on the ends and back. A large drawing can fit partly under my 21" CRTs at the office and still be able to see 24" of the sheet. I have a pair of LCDs at home in a similar setup.

If she's going to spend some time in the stool do her a favor and get a good one that is adjustable and has a foot ring. I'm pretty particular about my computer workspaces. I try to make sure everyting is as ergonomically freindly to me as I can. I bought myself a decent stool for my workstation at the office. They bought some chairs for everyone else in the office and the main criteria was looking cool. I'd have to kill someone if I sat in one of them all day.
                      Last edited by pelligrini; 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM.
                      Erik

Comment

Working...