Clear All
  • stljake
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • St. Louis
    • DeWalt 746 Hybred

English Farmhouse China Cabinet

Hi all

Just looking to brag a little about my current project, an English farmhouse-style china cabinet. This is my most ambitious project to date, where I get to try out large furniture techniques on something I'm going to paint and distress anyway. Hopefully that takes a lot of the pressure off.

My basic design drawing is below, the rest of the photos are posted on Flickr

Jake

"any day I can make sawdust is a good day" - me
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

It's looking good so far. How long have you been working on it? What wood is that one the countertop portion?

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

That is going to be a nice looking cabinet!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice design Jake and glad to see you take on a large carcass. But.. when I put that much effort into one I doubt seriously I would paint it. Have you considered the alternative as you still could distress if it you want it age the look of new? Just wondering...

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice design Jake and glad to see you take on a large carcass as you will learn much and smaller projects will seem like pieces of cake comparitivley afterwards. But.. when I put that much effort into one I doubt seriously I would paint it. Have you considered the alternative as you still could distress if it you want it age the look of new? Just wondering...

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Nice design. Please post photos when finished.
            Richard

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

That looks great!! I saw some of the photos on flickr and it looks like your moving along really well Is it poplar that I am seeing? You could still stain it, you would have to do a seal coat first on the poplar and then probably have to tone or glaze it to even it out. Your work looks great, I would say good enough for stain and too good to waste painting. Go for it! Just take your time and work out some stains and technique on scrap panels.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• stljake
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007
                • St. Louis
                • DeWalt 746 Hybred

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                It's looking good so far. How long have you been working on it? What wood is that one the countertop portion?
                How long? It's complicated I designed it Jan 2009, started it in March 09, had to quit in the spring, started again in November, got angry with the paint & glaze in December, figured it out in February, went to Europe in March.

The buffet top boards are Cyprus. The carcass is baltic birch. Facing, trim, and doors & drawers are poplar.
                Jake

Comment

• stljake
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2007
                  • St. Louis
                  • DeWalt 746 Hybred

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                  Very nice design Jake and glad to see you take on a large carcass as you will learn much and smaller projects will seem like pieces of cake comparitivley afterwards. But.. when I put that much effort into one I doubt seriously I would paint it. Have you considered the alternative as you still could distress if it you want it age the look of new? Just wondering...
                  Thanks. Yes it was hard to paint, but that was my plan all along. Actually, it was MUCH harder to distress it. I took such care with the wood, cut and sand everything perfectly, and then I'm supposed to beat it up? It took a lot of resolve, but I'm extremely happy with the way it is looking.
                  Jake

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Looks good so far. That size and design encompasses a lot of design and cabinet construction details which are a real education. You can create a "distressed" look with flicking paint (contrasting) off a paint brush. What were your plans for distressing?

Comment

• stljake
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2007
                      • St. Louis
                      • DeWalt 746 Hybred

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      Looks good so far. That size and design encompasses a lot of design and cabinet construction details which are a real education. You can create a "distressed" look with flicking paint (contrasting) off a paint brush. What were your plans for distressing?
                      On the base, I painted the wood, then sanded through the paint on the corners and lots of places on the trim and door knobs, then used a highly diluted water-based stain to dirty up the paint and darken the exposed wood.

For the table top, I plan to try out various techniques on some of the scrap - deepening the grain with a Dremel tool, random belt sanding, etc. The top will be stained. Here's a pic of the effect I'd like to achieve.

Last edited by stljake; 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM.
                      Jake

Comment

• stljake
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2007
                        • St. Louis
                        • DeWalt 746 Hybred

The base is done

The base is finished and in the dining room, clearing space for me to get started on the tabletop.

Jake

Comment

• Shep
                          • Nov 2008
                          • Columbus, OH
                          • Hitachi C10FL

Looking good.
                          -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment