• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by phi1l
    Next thing you know you will be mixing the metric clamps in with the imperial ones, & ruin the whole glue up...

Everyone knows if you use metric clamps, you should be using metric glue.

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Amateurs - here's a glue-up!

Ray
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

I have to agree with Ray. That's a glue up.
        Lee

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

That's so neat and orderly Ray.

Here's a couple shots of my bench glue up, the biggest one I've done yet. I used every long clamp I had doing that final one for the top, pipe & bars.
          Attached Files
          Erik

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

Originally posted by cabinetman
            Everyone knows if you use metric clamps, you should be using metric glue.
            This is all getting way too confusing, I have a hard enough time keeping the left handed clamps from the right handed ones...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

Originally posted by phi1l
              This is all getting way too confusing, I have a hard enough time keeping the left handed clamps from the right handed ones...
              Now I find that rather easy, it's the backwards clamps that make me walk to the other side of the assembly table to tighten up that discombobulate me.

Bill
              over here in the sun

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                Now I find that rather easy, it's the backwards clamps that make me walk to the other side of the assembly table to tighten up that discombobulate me.

Bill
                over here in the sun
                Not to mention keeping the upside down clamps separate from the downside up ones.

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

The majority of my clamps are Jet, and they are in fact imperial (markings for the inches).
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• DustyandLefty
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Almost West Virginia
                    • BT3000 w/ side and rear tables on wheels, BT3100 portable spare, old Delta contractor's

any baby clamps?

As best I can tell I've kept my male and female clamps separated.

Dusty and Lefty

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Just how many clamps are enough??....

The answer is no matter how many you have.. you "always" come up "one short"!

Last count I have somewhere in the vicinity of 80 + clamps with 12 of those sitting on my larger of two assembly tables ready for a glue up. Several years ago when making a 96' long semi-round showroom counter for my former work place I had 68 clamps in action at once on two 12' sections of counter being worked on simoultaneously.

But.. even though I had around 70 clamps at that time.. I didn't have enough the proper lenght to start a third section until that glue-up came out of clamps.

You always come up short no matter... Always!

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                        Just how many clamps are enough??....

The answer is no matter how many you have.. you "always" come up "one short"!

Last count I have somewhere in the vicinity of 80 + clamps with 12 of those sitting on my larger of two assembly tables ready for a glue up. Several years ago when making a 96' long semi-round showroom counter for my former work place I had 68 clamps in action at once on two 12' sections of counter being worked on simoultaneously.

But.. even though I had around 70 clamps at that time.. I didn't have enough the proper lenght to start a third section until that glue-up came out of clamps.

You always come up short no matter... Always!

Good thing you don't do large curved glue lams, like handrails and stringers for staircase work. You'd need in excess of over 100 handscrew Jorgies and likewise for bar and pipe clamps.

Comment

• BobSch
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by DustyandLefty
                          As best I can tell I've kept my male and female clamps separated.
                          No wonder you don't have enough clamps.
                          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            Good thing you don't do large curved glue lams, like handrails and stringers for staircase work. You'd need in excess of over 100 handscrew Jorgies and likewise for bar and pipe clamps..
                            I'll leave curved stairways and any curved laminations to the respective pro's that specialize in them as they are a breed apart IMO. I would not have taken on the curved showroom counter except I have a friend who owns Odessey Design up in New England that specializes in curve work and he was as close as my nearest phone during this job.

He had told me in advance about clamps so my company purchased an additional 12 Cabinetmasters for me along with a Bosch barrel grip jig-saw. They were some other things they purchased also and I came out very well from that angle and worked from my home shop. I suppose they came out well also as the lowest professional quote was $48,000 and they got it done for around $18,000 with materials.. tools and my pay.

Win-win for me and them but no way I would be personally interested in doing it every day as I am content butchering away on simple carcasses.

Comment

Working...