Maloof dresser part 2

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • 4055
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

    #1

    Maloof dresser part 2

    I've made a little progress from 2 nights ago:

    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=50118

    Tonight, I started by trimming the bottom end (feet) of the sides square to the
    sides using my panel sled. I also trimmed the top and bottom panels to
    finished length.




    Then I tacked on some strips of 1/4" hardboard so I'd have a smooth surface
    to run against my fence when I cut the dadoes.




    I laid out the locations of the 3/8" wide dadoes on my full size hardboard
    template. This let me use the template to set the location of the fence for
    each dado. I set the depth of cut to 1/4" and cut the 5 dadoes in each side
    panel. I also ran a dado down the middle of the top and bottom panel.




    The two side panels on top of each other. Dadoes line up perfectly. Yippee!




    I didn't snap a picture of the next step but using the same dado set and a
    sacrificial fence, I formed tongues on the ends of my top and bottom panels.
    3/8" wide tongues by 1/4" long. This, by far, was the most nerve racking
    part of the process. I didn't want the joint to be sloppy but I didn't have
    any scrap wood that was the exact thickness as my stock. I had something
    that was pretty close and I snuck up to the final fit. Phew! Spot on.

    And finally for the night, I was able to do a dry fit. That thing is a beast!




    Tomorrow night, I plan on cutting the divider to finished length, cutting
    tongues onto the end and then cutting dadoes in the divider to accept the
    future drawer dividers.

    Right now, I've purposely left everything over-width. I knew I'd get some
    blow out while cutting the dadoes--I didn't use a backer board. Once the
    divider is cut, I'll rip all the panels to final width.

    Paul
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 3779
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #2
    Fantastic Paul! The carcass is coming together really nice Will you will be blending the sapwood to look more like heartwood with dye or stain?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

    Comment

    • atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • 4055
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

      #3
      I'm not too concerned about the sapwood-especially on the inside. I may dye
      the really offensive looking spots. I do have plenty of sapwood in this lot to
      practice dying on.

      Last night I fit the divider panel. I squared up one end on my panel sled. Then
      I installed my dado set and cut a tongue on one end panel. Resting the
      tongue on the bottom shelf, I used a knife to mark the location of the dadoes
      to correspond with the dadoes in my sides.




      I lined up those marks against my dado stack and cut away-very carefully.




      Then I cut the panel to final length. Test fit of the divider.




      I agonized over the next step--selection of the secondary wood for the
      drawer runners and drawer sides. I had enough hard maple for all that I
      needed but it seemed such a waste to mill down these 4/4 boards to 5/8" for
      drawer sides. Then again, if I wanted to use poplar which was $1/bf cheaper,
      I'd have to go buy it and use up precious time. Anyway, maple it is. I don't
      build much with maple so this project seemed like a good way to use it up.

      I milled up nearly 30bf of maple tonight for drawers and runners. This dresser
      is eating wood like there's no tomorrow. Anyway, when I got to 3/4", I stopped
      planing and started cutting the horizontal front and back stretchers. In the
      Maloof dresser, his drawer runners are interrupted by the middle divider. The
      sides are only tied together at the top and bottom. I'm sure with glue it's
      strong but could probably be done better. In a recent FWW, Christian
      Becksvoort builds a low Shaker chest where his stretchers are half lapped
      into the panel divider and spans the whole chest. IMHO this construction is
      more complicated but gives more rigidity to the whole construction.

      I cut 3 walnut stretchers for the front and 3 maple stretchers for the back. Then
      using my dado stack, I cut tongues on the end of each stretcher.

      This pic is after the walnut stretchers are slipped into place. The panel divider is
      just slid back.




      I removed the panel divider and am doing a test fit of the maple stretchers in the
      back. Phew! Everything fits.




      No time to work on it tomorrow--dinner with a coworker. This weekend will be
      tight, too. However, I need to cut all the sides, top/bottom, and divider to final
      size. Then I need to notch the panels and front/back stretchers for the final
      fit. I am not looking forward to that. I think I will have to cut it with my
      handsaw but can probably use the TS.

      If there is still time after that, I will shape the sides using my template.

      Thanks for looking,
      Paul
      Last edited by atgcpaul; 03-19-2010, 05:41 AM. Reason: They're called stretchers in the front and back, not runners

      Comment

      • JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • 5636
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

        #4
        At first I thought, "What a crazy procedure!" Now that I understand your half-lap concept I take it all back. That thing is going to be solid as a rock.

        Maloof wouldn't hide the sapwood, he'd celebrte it. I'm just sayin'...

        Have you made any progress on how to do the roundovers?

        JR
        JR

        Comment

        • atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • 4055
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

          #5
          Originally posted by JR
          At first I thought, "What a crazy procedure!" Now that I understand your half-lap concept I take it all back. That thing is going to be solid as a rock.

          Maloof wouldn't hide the sapwood, he'd celebrte it. I'm just sayin'...

          Have you made any progress on how to do the roundovers?

          JR
          I think Maloof had better sapwood to work with I haven't shown the top
          of one of the sides but one of the boards is all sapwood on the inside. I'll see
          how it looks when I'm done. If it's really objectionable, I'll try to cover it up.

          I'm not going to worry about the roundovers until my final test fit. I'll be able
          to visualize the whole process better once it's together.

          Paul

          Comment

          Working...