How would you stain this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 2162

    #1

    How would you stain this?

    How would you stain something like this so that the lettering had a darker stain than the rest of the plaque? What would you suggest doing to ensure neither of the stains bleed into each other?

    Last edited by jussi; 01-01-2010, 05:48 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • leehljp
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • 8803
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

    #2
    I am interested to see what others have to say.

    For me, I would seal the whole sign with a sealer,
    then after dry, paint (spray the letters) let it dry,
    then sand the top to clear the paint from the face/surface of the sign board.

    This is basically how I saw it done may years ago.
    Hank Lee

    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

    Comment

    • Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • 3014
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

      #3
      I agree with Hank. It would be very difficult not to have it bleed otherwise.
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

      Richard in Smithville

      http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

      Comment

      • chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 3779
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

        #4
        If the letters were drawn from a stencil or if you could create the letters from a 1/4" hardboard and use it as a mask, it would greatly reduce the sanding involved.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

        Comment

        • cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • 15216
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

          #5
          If the letters and the outer detail is routed into the wood, I agree with Richard, who agrees with Hank.
          .

          Comment

          Working...