X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Edge glue joint

I have a project that calls for an edge glue joint to make a maple door out of 3 pieces. The area where the joint is made will get a plunge routing ogee pattern. I don't want to use biscuits or dowels because they may be exposed by the router bit.
    Would just a glue joint hold up? The doors are not large, 10" x 20".
    I have seen a lot of reviews on glue joint testing and in many cases the glue is stronger than the wood.
    Seems to me that if the joint opened to the point where a biscuit or dowel would be needed to keep it together, I would be replacing them anyway.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Just glue will do it. Assuming that the boards are well jointed and flat. If the joint is stressed, as in one board helping to hold another straight or flat then there is a greater chance of failure but even then if left clamped until fully cured it will work.

While biscuits or dowels help to align the joint, sometimes, they don't really help to hold things together.

A perfectly mated joint will not only be stronger but on the routed edge you will hardly see the glue joint. This way too you don't have to clamp it too tightly, just enough to bring it together and squeeze out the excess glue.

Good luck with the project, a great way to start off the new year. I hope to finish last years projects before 2010 is too far along.

Bill
    It's New Years Eve and I'm in the shop doing a glue up, sigh.

Comment

• Salty
      • Feb 2006
      • Akron, Ohio

Thanks Bill.
      This image shows the effect I want to create. With the glue joint directly in line with the routed groove, it simulates a raised panel.
      But of course the top and bottom rails have the grain going the wrong way. Kind of a quick and dirty way of making a door appear like a raised panel style.
      Oh, I know how to make one correctly, but I don't have all of the router bits at this time. I guess I could try to locate a biscuit at the top and bottom, but I'm not certain it would help all that much.
      For these 2 small wall cabinets and a total of 4 small doors, I thought I'd try this instead.
      If I can make mine look as good as this one than I'll be happy.
      The worst that can happen is that they will separate. Then I'd have a reason to make new ones and get to plane some more wood.

Salty
      Attached Files
      Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

You shouldn't have a problem if the fit is good. Clamp up with glue and give it overnight to cure. I wouldn't use any biscuits.

Comment

Working...