• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Fasteners for Simpson Strong-ties ? ?

I am starting on a patio cover, using regular lumber(not PT), which will be primed and painted. It will be assembled using Simpson joinst hangers.

Do I need to use the Simpson screws and nails or would regular galvanized nails work OK?

Thanks

Lago
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by lago
    Do I need to use the Simpson screws and nails or would regular galvanized nails work OK?
    Only if you want to achieve the rated strength.

The Simpson fasteners are not a standard size - you would have to substitute a smaller, weaker fastener.

Why do you not want to use the correct fasteners?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Salty
      • Feb 2006
      • Akron, Ohio

I believe they make short thick nails for those so the nail doesn't go through the 2x material. They are about as thick as a 16d nail but shorter, and galvanized.
      If you use them then you may want to get one of the palm nailers to drive them, provided you have an air compressor.
      Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Either that or use the strap shot model air nailer that shoots the special 10d (if I recall correctly) nails. Might make work go a little faster. The palm nailer is fairly quick too.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

I was just thinking about saving a few $$ by not using their fasteners. Lookin back, won't be using that many and might as well use theirs.

Thanks

Lago

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

TBH, in the long run you save nothing on the small amount you will use. Not to mention that they have a much thicker galvanized coating on them. Enjoy your build
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by lago
              Lookin back, won't be using that many and might as well use theirs.
              That's where I was going with my comment. Chances are you are not using them at their rated capacity and could get by with the smaller nail, but I can't confirm that without reviewing your load calculations. The additional cost for the Simpson fasteners is minimal, and it's tough to find comparable fasteners for much less money. In my opinion and experience, it's better just to use the Simpson fasteners.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• docrowan
                • Mar 2007
                • New Albany, MS
                • BT3100

I love the Simpson Strong Drive screws, I find a use for them on various projects and have to pick up a box every few months.

By the way, the new ACQ definitely requires the new ACQ rated hardware. I recently tried using older leftover galvanized nails on ACQ treated wood, and in less than 8 months they were heavily rusted. I had to remove them for another project and many of the heads stripped off leaving the shanks in the wood.
                - Chris.

Comment

Working...