• Show
Clear All
  • Prax
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2009
    • Perry, GA
    • Craftsman 10" Contractor Series

Leatherworking Bench

My son is just getting into leather-working. I want to build a bench for him to start with. Nothing too elaborate as who knows how long this interest will last. I read a few leather-working sites and it seems they use a granite piece for the actual tool work. As I do not have a piece of granite laying around, what might work as a temporary substitute? I am open to any and all ideas that you fine people can give me. Thanks.
    LOML, sawdust and beer - what more could a man ask for?
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Way back when........ I've not heard of using a granite slab. My brother and I actually used a 10" or so firewood round sitting on top of a folded up blanket so as to not telegraph the noise to the downstairs. The real key to leatherwork, I assume you are thinking of tooling, is to make sure the leather is wet, and I do mean wet.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Prax
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2009
      • Perry, GA

Yes, tooling will be part of it I assume. He is interested in making leather armor.

Comment

• master53yoda
        Established Member
        • Oct 2008
        • Spokane Washington
        • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

my brother-inlaw did a lot of leather work. his table had a section of 2x4s clued on edge under one end for about 20 " the table was 30 x 72. the purpose for the blocking was so that the hammer strikes did not bounce. The rest of the table top was 3/4 plywood with a Formica top over the whole thing. It worked well for him.
        Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

leather working bench

This is not exactly a bench, but a slab of granite from a stone cutter that
          makes grave markers would fill the bill. They may have a small piece that
          could be purchased for a small price that would do all he would need. I would
          not want to buy anything thicker than 2" or 2 1/2" it tends to get heavy
          to move around and carry.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

If you need granite, countertop fabricators will probably have cutoffs or sink cutouts for reasonable cost.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

For leather armor, I would start by looking up the SCA (renaissance reinactors). My father made a small "school desk" size bench for my nephew. My father is a woodworker, and Marble, I believe is sold at the local leather store, or you could use this as an excuse (have a local woodcraft?), to get a granite surface/sharpening plate. It would be big enough for stamping (move the leather over it), and portable enough for other projects, or if he loses interest.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Prax
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2009
                • Perry, GA

Thanks for the great ideas. I was thinking the 2X4 on edge also. I am thinking this would be the easier/cheaper way to go for now and see how long the interest lasts. Then maybe move him up to something like the granite or marble piece added in later.

As a newbie here I really have to say "why didn't I come here earlier?" You all have such great ideas and a great wealth of knowledge. I surely will be here for a long time.

Comment

• scmhogg
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000

Prax,

Welcome. As you have already seen this forum has some of the nicest people you will ever run into on the WWW.

You didn't say how old your son is, but, I have plans for a kids bench that my son and I built when he was younger.

Steve
                  I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Prax
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Perry, GA

He is 21 now....the youngest of 3.

I am thinking a 2'X4' bench to start with. What are your thoughts on the size? Too small for a starter?

Comment

Working...