X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scoly2803
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008

How would you?

Building a mirror frame for my son. Dimensions are 88"x36" with mitred corners. Will be walnut with stain and clear shellac. This will be assembled at my house and carried to his.
    I am concerned about the miters seperating if just glued. Have considered splines and/or pocket screws from the bottom.
    Thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks
    Steve
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by Scoly2803
    Building a mirror frame for my son. Dimensions are 88"x36" with mitred corners. Will be walnut with stain and clear shellac. This will be assembled at my house and carried to his.
    I am concerned about the miters seperating if just glued. Have considered splines and/or pocket screws from the bottom.
    Thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks
    Steve

How are you planning the frame? Is it basically just mitered corners and a rabbeted back edge for the mirror?

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

You definitely want to reinforce those miters. That's a really big frame that
      has to a hold all that glass.

Cutting splines will be a challenge because of the size, but probably doable if
      you make a decent jig.

Biscuit joiner would be my next choice if you have one. If you can't register
      off the face of your frame--because of a profile, then it's very important that
      your frame pieces are the same thickness. If you register off the back and
      your pieces aren't equal thickness, the faces won't be coplanar.

I've reinforced frames using pocket screws, too. The important thing is
      to immobilize that miter (glue it first and let it dry) then screw it home. If
      you screw it together while the glue is wet, the miter could slip. You also need
      enough meat on your frames because of the entry point of the pocket screw
      drill bit.

Paul

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        You definitely want to reinforce those miters. That's a really big frame that
        has to a hold all that glass.

Cutting splines will be a challenge because of the size, but probably doable if
        you make a decent jig.

Biscuit joiner would be my next choice if you have one. If you can't register
        off the face of your frame--because of a profile, then it's very important that
        your frame pieces are the same thickness. If you register off the back and
        your pieces aren't equal thickness, the faces won't be coplanar.

I've reinforced frames using pocket screws, too. The important thing is
        to immobilize that miter (glue it first and let it dry) then screw it home. If
        you screw it together while the glue is wet, the miter could slip. You also need
        enough meat on your frames because of the entry point of the pocket screw
        drill bit.

Paul

I wouldn't use either pocket screws or biscuits. A half lap miter, or a splined miter would be my choice for the joinery.

OR, a splined miter:

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Many old mirror frames were reinforced with braided picture frame wire laced on the back. I expect this was an after the fact thing. If you hang the mirror from the bottom with the wire going through screw eyes on the sides then the weight of the mirror will hold the sides tight and the bottom will hold the mirror weight and not the joint of the frame sides at the bottom. This is not to say that the corners should not be reinforced is some way but hanging this way will add to the life of the mirror and frame. This of course assumes the mirror will be hung on the wall. If it's going on a pivot stand then I would add some diagonal support at the bottom.

Bill

Comment

• Scoly2803
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2008

Thanks for the responses.
            Frame is pretty simple. 3/4" thick by 3" wide. Will have a slightly rounded outside edge with either 2 or 3 equally spaced grooves. It will not be supporting the mirror just framing it. The two short ends will have about a 2" dado that will go over the mirror while the long top and bottom will only have around a 3/4 dado for the mirror. This is due to the size of the mirror and a 90.75" wall for it to hang on.
            Sorry, I should have stated much of this in the original ?
            After looking at the design I notice that pocket screws are probably out. Just not enough meat to work with.
            Splines are sounding good. With walls on either side of the mirror they will not show, to bad, but will add that additional strength that I feel I need for transporting. Just want to be sure the mitres stay together till I get it hung.
            Thanks again. Really appreciate all the help.
            Steve

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Another option for reinforcing it is to glue up the miters as-is, then rout a key into each miter and glue in an accent piece that spans the miter and locks it together. Sort of a half-lap idea. I've seen it done with bow-tie shaped pieces as the key.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

I assume that the mirror would be transported separately, if so don't forget to temporarily tack supports on the back side of the frame so that it doesnt rack while being shipped/handled.
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...