• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Save Your Back

Cutting sheet goods like 3/4" plywood or 3/4" MDF can be a big PITA, or to be more honest a pain in the back. Some may decide to pre-size the sheet before using the table saw. Even doing that, can be a PITA/back. Using a hand held skill saw has some disadvantages also.

The sheet would be positioned on saw horses. Sizing this way might entail you to lean way over the sheet, while controlling the saw.

Or, if the piece laid on the floor over some type of risers, you have to get on your hands and knees...still a PITA.

I prefer to just go to the table saw. The best $5.00 I ever spent was on this panel carrier. A simple way to use it is slide the sheet on the 8' edge over the slot of the carrier and drop in. Then, with the sheet leaning against the edge of the table saw table, lift the handle (which is just about midway on the sheet) raising the sheet (sliding it against the table, which reduces the lifting weight) to a bit over half way up the table and let it rock over flat.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Along this same line, - Too many people insist on all tables, cabinets and machines be of the same height without checking the ergonomics. Looks good and functions great - but it can be heck and destructive on the body for the sake of esthetics.

As far as the body is concerned - different tools function optimally better at different use heights.

As to plywood - I have a similar panel carrier and use it regularly! Hung up on the wall in plain site and easy access. That is one tool that I don't just set down or in a corner. AS to cutting a sheet down, I also set up a place for cutting before handling the PW sheets.
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-05-2009, 09:55 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

I have a plastic version, the handle is not as long but it sure is a back and elbow saver.

Whenever possible I know the rough size prior to getting the plywood. I then slide it out of the truck onto sawhorses and cut it down. I have seen a really nice cart with a tilt top, just roll the goods over to where you want them and tilt them up flat and slide them through the saw. Today, however, I have the plywood in the shop/garage and have to get it out and on to sawhorsed in the driveway to cut up. I have spent most of the morning cleaning up so I have room to move. My next shop will be a self-cleaning one.

Bill
      Over here on the Sunny Oregon Coast where snow is what we see in the mountains.
      Last edited by Mr__Bill; 12-05-2009, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
        I have a plastic version, the handle is not as long but it sure is a back and elbow saver.
        I've got one of the plastic ones too. Works great until you get to a 5x5 sheet of 3/4" BB! Slivers in your pits ain't no fun!
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...