• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Crazy Carving Project

Back when I had the time to do any carving I thought it would be cool to make a ball in a cage. I got busy and never finished it. It's out of Balsa wood, very soft and difficult to carve. Tools have to be very sharp.

• ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

That's surprisingly time consuming to do. The wife and I took a carving class a couple of winters ago and this was one of the starter projects. Your ball is much smoother than mine. I was worried about making it too small. One of the 'old pro' carvers said that I need to learn to say that it has more character that way.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

C'man, you steamed the wood, pried it apart, put the ball in the cage, and then pushed the wood back together, didn't you? :-) Just out of curiosity, how did you get that ball so perfectly round?
      Richard
      Richard

Comment

• tohellwithuga
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • GA

And I thought this thread was going to be about turkey...

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat
          That's surprisingly time consuming to do. The wife and I took a carving class a couple of winters ago and this was one of the starter projects. Your ball is much smoother than mine. I was worried about making it too small. One of the 'old pro' carvers said that I need to learn to say that it has more character that way.

Time consuming to say the least. I never had the time to take carving classes, but that sounds like a fun thing to do. I did take courses with ex#2 in jewelry making to set her up with a business. That was a blast.

Carving tools can be a similar slope as turning cost wise until you get all tooled up. Then there's always something to buy. Jewelry making is a never ending money pit buying tools, findings and supplies. I'm glad that's over.

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

The ball in the cage carving is amazing to me, but that life like carving of the tape measure complete with authentic looking scuffed up label is awesome!

Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...