X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

For those who asked, this is the chair I'm going to be building

This is the chair that the wife picked out to go with the dining room table I made, it'll be mahogany though to match the table. I'm not sure that I care for it, a bit too boxy for my taste but there is some room for some artistic license. She already got me the plans, it looks pretty straight forward. I've never tried doing angled m&t, a jig will be the order of the day for that. Hmmm...I'm sure there is some tool I'll just need to buy to do this. The downside is I have to make 4.
    Attached Files
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

You know.....you could do worse for your first chair That is not a bad design and since you will have to live with the nagging otherwise, give her what she wants. As for angled M&T, I can't tell from the picture, where would these be located? The chair looks pretty square to me.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Salty
      • Feb 2006
      • Akron, Ohio

I like it...but then I always look at these things with an eye toward how difficult it is to build.
      I have no doubt that will be sturdy and last for generations. Mahogony will finish nicely.
      With a bit of study I may even be able to build that. What's that dear? You want how many? But there are only 2 of us! ;-)
      Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• phi1l
        • Oct 2009
        • Madison, WI

While that is a very fine looking chair, I'm not sure how well that craftsman style will go with the table (if I recall the picture correctly). I think I would be looking for something with a smoother, less angular impression. However, I expect that that chair will look fine as well, particularly when made from the same wood & with the same finish.

Good Luck.

Comment

• smorris
          • Apr 2003
          • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by chopnhack
          You know.....you could do worse for your first chair That is not a bad design and since you will have to live with the nagging otherwise, give her what she wants. As for angled M&T, I can't tell from the picture, where would these be located? The chair looks pretty square to me.
          The front to back has a 7 degree angle, I'm inclined to just make it square based on the rear dimension and if someone has a bottom that needs the extra they can build their own chairs.
          --
          Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

Working...