X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Veneering substrate is fine for some projects but I don't like it for anyplace where there is an edge to deal with. I see these kits with the plastic veneer where they have put a long grain edge on what should be an endgrain if you were to follow the pattern of the grain on the side. It doesn't flow naturally. In the case of a kitchen end panel it is fine as you have faceframe covering the edge. Shelf edges are also somewhat of a problem as you almost always have a seam showing where the edgebanding is applied. But even the best plywood will still show that.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• Salty
      • Feb 2006
      • Akron, Ohio

Sisters or twins...not sure which.
      After all the gripeing about the plywood, they didn't turn out too bad.
      I also decided that the edge banding and rail in the lighter color looked good so I used a lighter stain on those.
      Thanks for looking.

Salty

BTW, how may coats of poly does it take until poplar can be sanded smooth? Every time I put another coat on, the grain would raise and get rough!
      Attached Files

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Salty
        Sisters or twins...not sure which.
        After all the gripeing about the plywood, they didn't turn out too bad.
        I also decided that the edge banding and rail in the lighter color looked good so I used a lighter stain on those.
        Thanks for looking.

Salty

BTW, how may coats of poly does it take until poplar can be sanded smooth? Every time I put another coat on, the grain would raise and get rough!

Cabinets look good. What "poly" are you using? Water base or oil base?

Comment

• Salty
          • Feb 2006
          • Akron, Ohio

Water based poly made by Cabot. I don't care for it as much as Minwax as it is difficult to wash out the brushes. Seems there is always some residue left that makes them stiff after drying.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by Salty
            Water based poly made by Cabot. I don't care for it as much as Minwax as it is difficult to wash out the brushes. Seems there is always some residue left that makes them stiff after drying.

Waterbased poly's need several thin coats. You can't lay it on heavy and get good results. Stir not shake before each application. Allow each coat to thoroughly dry. It may be dry to the touch in 30 minutes but I give it much longer than that. Depending on the weather and temperature...4-6 hours. Too soon of an application will only slow down the drying of the previous coats. I usually apply at least 4-5 either brushed or sprayed.

Comment

Working...