• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

cathedral raised panel doors.....???

I am attempting to make cathedral raised panel doors for our kitchen cabinets, the last step for the "hot" wall. I'm using a template set from Rockler. So far it has proven to be a pain in the tuckas and about the most dangerous thing I've done in a long time. Any hints, tips, or suggestions from those of you out there who have made these things? I'm feeding the rails with a pin into the stick cutter, and so far only 1 has exploded and been thown across the shop, of course I've only made 2.....not good odds. I can't WAIT to see what happens when I try and raise the panel!!!

Also, this project has pissed me off to the point where I'm seriously considering selling everything. I may be pricing up what my PM2000, 18" bandsaw, etc... are worth.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

It's a big project Keith and its in your "living space". I am sure its probably taking longer than you wanted it to, but don't give up yet. If you are really that backed up have you considered ordering the doors? Many cabinet shops do just that because they are so time and labor intensive to produce. That way you can refocus your energy onto other things. And if not get me a quote on freight for your t.s. :P
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Lesson to learn, new sharp cutters are a good thing. My panel raising bit was DULL! Making life a LOT harder than it needed to be. Got the first 2 doors done quickly after realizing that.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Originally posted by drumpriest
        Lesson to learn, new sharp cutters are a good thing.
        Hmm, good lesson to learn! So what did you do? Did you take a burnisher to the cutter? Send it out?

JR
        JR

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

For other helpful hints you may want to take a look at this site

Arched Raised Panels Made Easy With Marc Sommerfeld

Bill

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Not only sharp, but clean. In a jam, I've dressed the carbide with a diamond hone. That may keep you going.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Cabinetman, that would require that the carbide not suck. I'm pretty sure I got a bum cutter, bought a new one and it's like a hot knife through butter. SO much better. I usually made flat panel doors with decoration (exotic veneers, marquetry, etc...), this is honestly the first set of raised panel doors I've made in my own shop. I've done several for demos, but this is the first cathedral set that I've done. The cathedral isn't really a problem, other than being tricky to ease the curved work piece into the router off the pin. I had a failure, but from look at the wood, I think I just hit some funky grain at the wrong time.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

I do not mean to scare you but keep in mind about half of the cut is down grain on these rails. When I made the magazine baskets I launched a few parts. The cope cuts can be down right scary, best have a way to hold the workpiece so that your hands are a long way from the cutter.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...