X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Hide glue questions

I'm going to be making some chairs to go with the dining room table in a couple months. I was thinking of using hide glue so if in the future a stretcher or other part needs to be reglued it is possible as opposed to the problems of regluing PVA glue. This is the first project I've actually considered the future repair issue but chairs tend to get a lot of abuse, especially if kids are around.
    Does anyone have any words of wisdom or warnings?
    Is hot hide glue any better than the bottled Titebond? I understand both are reversible and lend themselves to these types of repairs.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

With good fitting joints, IMO, hot hide glue is superior to any white or yellow glues.

Comment

• LJR
      Established Member
      • Jan 2005

I like the liquid Titebond hide glue. And yes it is reversible and repairable, I've had to do it. I have tried the hot hide glue but don't have as much success with it especially if the shop (and wood) is cold. That may not be as big a challenge in Florida. I find the Titebond easier to work with and will not hesitate to use it.

Comment

• scmhogg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

Here in California hide glue is easy to use. There are several sources on ebay that sell hide glue by the pound.

Soak the pearls over night. Then, heat them in a double boiler to no more than 140 degrees. I have a double glue pot, but any double boiler will do.

I use an old clothes iron, upside down in a vise, as a hotplate. It easy to keep an accurate temperature with the iron.

Once you get used to the hot glue, try hammer veneering. It is really a slick way to veneer small objects.

Steve
        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• smorris
          • Apr 2003
          • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Sounds like I need to get a double boiler.
          Note to self, don't grab the one in the kitchen, go to goodwill or something and get my own.
          --
          Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

smorris, I asked a question about hide glue a few months ago and got some great advice as well as useful links from some of the members. If I do this right here is a link to that thread:
            http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ight=hide+glue

Richard
            Last edited by phrog; 10-05-2009, 08:32 PM. Reason: Wrong link
            Richard

Comment

Working...