Repairing misplaced biscuit slots

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jonmulzer
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 946
    • Indianapolis, IN

    #1

    Repairing misplaced biscuit slots

    So while working on a project today I cut some biscuit slots in the wrong place. I needed to adjust it for an offset when going from one set of components to the next and forgot to account for BOTH offsets. Long story but now I have 8 biscuit slots cut to where they will show in the finished piece. How can I repair that without picking up more stock, machining it and cutting new mortises? I thought I remembered seeing a product just for this. Pre-machined pieces of wood that you could glue into the slots and then cut and sand flush. I am not having any luck finding them on Rockler or Woodcrafts website though.

    I could plane some material down to 5/32" and then cut to size on the bandsaw and make my own if I have to. I seem to remember the owner's manual for my planer saying that the minimum thickness was 1/4" though, even though it has a stop for 1/8". This is a painted project out of poplar so other than it sanding flush I don't care what it will look like because paint will cover a lot.

    If no one has any quick tips I might just resort to my catch-all for fixing blunders on painted projects and mix some Titebond with some fine shavings and flour out of the dust collector and fill them.

    Right before I did that I cut a panel 1/2" too short. Somehow I read 16 and 9/16" and 16 and 1/16". When I cut the biscuit slots wrong I just left the workshop. Once I am on a roll like that, I keep doing things wrong. I did not even put the tools away or sweep up because somehow I would have fouled that up also.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #2
    If you're going to paint it, just use Bondo. It's a quick fast fix and sands easily.
    .

    Comment

    • cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • 4503
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

      #3
      Could you rip the edge off the material, reverse it, then glue it back on? That way the slots would be hidden inside the panel.

      If you can't lose the thickness of the blade kerf, you could always glue a strip from another piece on.

      Filler is fine, too. But for 8 misscut slots it may be faster to rip and strip.

      Comment

      • mpc
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • 1018
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

        #4
        How about running the biscuit slot area over a dado set (rabbeting it) so a simple skinny piece ripped from another board can be glued in place. That way you won't be trying to run skinny stuff through the thickness planer. And you'll have straight edges to butt together, easier than trying to custom fit filler pieces.

        mpc

        Comment

        • jonmulzer
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 946
          • Indianapolis, IN

          #5
          Originally posted by cabinetman
          If you're going to paint it, just use Bondo. It's a quick fast fix and sands easily.
          .
          Why didn't I think of that?? I have filled in hundreds of lock and hinge mortises when taking the doors off on remodel jobs with the stuff! Thanks for the memory jogger Cabman!
          "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

          Comment

          • jonmulzer
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2007
            • 946
            • Indianapolis, IN

            #6
            Originally posted by cgallery
            Could you rip the edge off the material, reverse it, then glue it back on? That way the slots would be hidden inside the panel.

            If you can't lose the thickness of the blade kerf, you could always glue a strip from another piece on.

            Filler is fine, too. But for 8 misscut slots it may be faster to rip and strip.
            Well, this piece has mortises already cut in and I would be ripping off the face where they are. Good idea though and one I have used before for other instances.

            I am building a kitchen storage island to fit a tile top with alder (I think) surround that I salvaged off another piece of furniture that was headed to the dumpster so I am building a base for it with 1.5" square legs tapered below the bottom stretcher with 3/4" stretchers inset 1/8" from the legs with a 1" curve in the bottom stretchers. All mortise and tenon on the frame. Since it is a painted project and I had some leftover 1/2" Birch ply I decided to biscuit them into position instead of cutting grooves. I thought it would save time but after this blunder the grooves would have been much quicker.
            "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

            Comment

            • TCOTTLE
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • 152
              • Greenbush Maine
              • Ryobi BT3000

              #7
              What about putting a biscuit in there and cutting it off then sanding?

              Comment

              • Wood_workur
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • 1914
                • Ohio
                • Ryobi bt3100-1

                #8
                Originally posted by TCOTTLE
                What about putting a biscuit in there and cutting it off then sanding?
                This could be an interesting accent. Most people wouldn't notice, especially if you put effort into careful placement of the biscuits. But there is usually a gap on the end of the slots and biscuit, no?

                My thoughts are to rip 1/8" off the edge and glue a new piece on, or if you really want to get fancy, a v slot on the edge and a triangular filler piece.
                Alex

                Comment

                • jonmulzer
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 946
                  • Indianapolis, IN

                  #9
                  I don't think that gluing a biscuit in would have worked. They seem to have voids and inconsistencies and I doubt that it would have completely filled the slot. No matter though, the bondo trick worked like a charm and now I have a can of it in the shop waiting on the next mistake.
                  "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

                  Comment

                  • sscherin
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • 772
                    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

                    #10
                    I've cut up and inserted paint sticks..
                    That works for painted projects anyway..

                    otherwise I'd route the slot 3/16" deep with a 1/4" bit..
                    If you need it solid to re-cut the slot near by then use the full slot depth.

                    Chisel the ends square and fit a 1/4x1/4 insert in matching or contrasting wood trying to match the grain.
                    scrape it flush..

                    same thing I did when converting my daughters old headboards from hook and pin bed rail hangers.
                    William's Law--
                    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

                    Comment

                    • windmill
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 65

                      #11
                      Originally posted by jonmulzer
                      I thought I remembered seeing a product just for this. Pre-machined pieces of wood that you could glue into the slots and then cut and sand flush.
                      Yes..they're called biscuits! Glue in biscuits, trim the exposed half with a hand saw, plane flush, fill the remaining gaps with wood putty. Sand. Don't tell anybody about it.

                      Not ashamed to say I've done this numerous times.

                      Comment

                      Working...