• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I've tried the fingerless gloves and still gotten splinters so I decided to live with it being tougher to pick up nails and screws while wearing gloves. The gloves also protect me from skinned knuckles, hammer hits, etc.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
      As for handling large stock and plywood, would fingerless gloves do the trick C-man? Most of the weight rests in the palm area when moving ply, so, I would think these would be useful. Anyone care to chime in?

I don't wear gloves. The fingers are just as vulnerable as the palms.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Wearing gloves can be dangerous when running power tools. I have a pair of skin tight mechanics gloves I use since nothing is loose fitting or can get snagged.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Hellrazor
          Wearing gloves can be dangerous when running power tools. I have a pair of skin tight mechanics gloves I use since nothing is loose fitting or can get snagged.
          True. I wear the tighter fitting construction gloves, not the loose leather gardening-type ones, and I only wear mine when I am doing general construction and using a circular saw, sawzall, etc.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

LOML says my hands feel like leather.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

I guess you don't need gloves then C-Man ;P
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• shoottx
                Veteran Member
                • May 2008
                • Plano, Texas
                • BT3000

The other "hazard" is really sharp edges just slicing your hands.

This has happened twice in the last month. I was working with some very hard white oak, ran one edge on the Joiner, then thickness planed the board, when I slide my hand down to pick up the board the edge cut just like a sharp knife. While the cut was superficial, it still hurt and I dripped blood on the board!

So watch those edges!
                Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Rand
                  Established Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Vancouver, WA, USA.

My dad used to fix watches for a hobby and for money to feed his gun habit. Remember when you had to wind the things up?

After he died we sold most of the watch stuff but I kept several sets of tweezers that look like this:
                  http://www.folica.com/Tweezerman_Ingr_d1653.html

With the sharp tweezers and a magnifying lens I can remove even the tiny annoying splinters that LOML gets in the garden with a minimum of skin damage. If you don't have that style of tweezer I highly recommend getting them.
                  Rand
                  "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

Working...