• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Repair Job

LOML purchased a (used) teak table several months back that needs repairs. Specifically, the legs attach to the top using four hex cap bolts that screw into threaded inserts. The inserts are captured between a flat piece that's screwed and glued to the bottom face of the table top, and the table top itself.

One of the threaded inserts is stripped, as is the hex cap bolt. I can replace the bolt easily enough, but the threaded insert is proving problematic because it is glued to the table top with a glue of unknon origin. Question is, how to get that piece loose so I can replace the threaded insert, without damaging the table top. My first attempt will be heat using an old hair dryer. Next, perhaps a steam iron to soften the glue. After that, I'm outta ideas.

I don't want to destroy the wood piece because once I replace the insert, all of the relevant holes in the required trap piece are already drilled and I do not have to worry about alignment.

Fellow members of the Order of the Sawdust, any thoughts?
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

A picture?

A picture would help see what we are working with.
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Can you re-tap the threads on the insert?

JR
      JR

Comment

• Shep
        • Nov 2008
        • Columbus, OH
        • Hitachi C10FL

What about using lock-tight to secure the new bolt and leaving the threaded insert? That way you don't have to worry about it coming loose? Should hold it together well.
        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

If the glue is either white (PVA) or yellow (aliphatic resin), or hide glue, heat should loosen it, not steam. If it's UF or epoxy, heat won't affect it. If you've removed the screws holding the plate on, check for other fasteners, like maybe a brad or two. You might be able to use a chisel between the plate and the top (bevel towards the top) and a hammer and give it a whack or three.

If that doesn't remove it, try splitting the wood along the grain and then chisel the smaller pieces off. Once off, you can do the repair by replacing the insert and a new plate.

Comment

• just started
            • Mar 2008
            • suburban Philly

If the wall of the insert is thick enough you should be able to use a heli-coil to re-thread it.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Can you get a thin blade like a pullsaw beteen the bottom of the table and the piece and saw it away?
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gjat
                • Nov 2005
                • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                • BT3100

If the insert is in solidly, I would re-tap it to the next larger bolt size. That's worked for me. If the insert is too damaged, I would drill it out and gorilla in a new insert, which I've done on old dining room chairs for my daughter.

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

The rest of the story, part I.

I finally decided I needed a special tool for this job, so several weeks ago I sent my wife out tool shopping. She returned with a used (and somewhat damaged) clothes iron that turned out to be perfect for the job.

This evening, I used the iron to heat the wood part with the damaged insert. As the wood heated through, I first tried tapping (well, more like beating the crap out of) the stuck part from one side and then the other. No luck. The glue never got soft enough and there's not enough room anyway. Then I tried using an old chisel to carefully pry the part loose with a little assistance from a happer. After about 15 minutes of heating and prying, the part came free.

Tomorrow I'll machine a new part out of some old oak flooring and put in a new insert. With a little luck, the table will be repaired when LOML arrives home.

By the way Cab, I owe you a beer for this one.

Comment

Working...