• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

How Would You Do This?

How would you make the rotating tray at the end of this table, and get it to pivot?

• pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I'd drive a pin from the bottom of the table top through a hole in the tray back into a shallow hole in the top. I'd probably use a small magnet to keep the trey aligned when closed.
    Erik

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

In addition to Erik's suggestion, My initial thought would be to drill the drawer frame top to bottom, glue in a tubular metal bushing, and use a pivot pin made of similar metal, inserted from the bottom of the carcass. That kind of pivot, especially if there is any weight, works best without wood. The metal parts would allow for periodic lubrication, and would not be susceptible to humidity changes. But, as I think about it, a nylon bushing would work also, and would need less lubrication.
      Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I like UC's idea of the nylon bushing.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Head to the local hobby shop...

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          In addition to Erik's suggestion, My initial thought would be to drill the drawer frame top to bottom, glue in a tubular metal bushing, and use a pivot pin made of similar metal, inserted from the bottom of the carcass. That kind of pivot, especially if there is any weight, works best without wood. The metal parts would allow for periodic lubrication, and would not be susceptible to humidity changes. But, as I think about it, a nylon bushing would work also, and would need less lubrication.
          K&B makes brass tubing in sizes that slip fit within each other. You should be able to find a pair that would fit your application in this table. They can be had in 12" or 36" lengths, so you won't have to spend a bunch of bucks to get what you need. For rigidity in the pin tube, I'd just fill it with slow set epoxy after assembly. This will prevent it from buckling from the weight of the drawer.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...