X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Best glue for bent lamination

As the new dining table progresses along I'm at the point I need to start thinking about the skirt.

Normally I have no problem thinking about skirts... but I digress.

Now the issue. I've built the forms and have my laminations cut, 1/8" Ash which will bend onto a 23" radius, to later be veneered with Mahogany. Question I have is what is the best glue for this. I asked while I was at Woodcraft today and while they can usually help me I just got crickets on this question. If I recall, titebond isn't the best because it is a bit elastic and I would want something more rigid. Epoxy should work but pot life is pretty short and I have to assemble 6 layers. Anybody have some experience they would like to share, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Side note, I find as I have been working on this project that Mahogany is a joy to work with. Stable, hard but machines well if you pay attention to the grain. And unlike when I work with Padauk, I don't have to hazmat up before I start working with it.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

I seem to recall Nahm using Titebond for bent lamination. Of course, he makes the form a hair smaller in radius to allow for the springback. Not to mention Nahm probably has elves watching over the whole operation.

Would liquid hide glue work? Or how about the Titebond vacuum laminate glue? Or am I totally off base?

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• just started
      • Mar 2008
      • suburban Philly

Seems to me David Marks used Gorilla glue quite a bit for bent glue-ups.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Bender Says...

Opps, I can't say what Bender says. What glue you use for bent laminations depends on the installation. If the lamination is secured at the ends and has little stress on the bend itself, then most any glue will work. However, if the lamination is freestanding or unsupported at the ends, you have to be aware of joint creep. If the lamination is capable of moving, then you should use a glue that will not creep under load. In this instance, epoxy or resourcinol glue which cure hard would be the adhesive of choice.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

Not gorilla glue...Plastic resin glue, such as weldwood from DAP or Unibond 800. These glues dry harder than yellow glue, and therefore have less spring back for you.

Thin laminates and these glues are about all you can do to reduce the spring back, other than choice of species and cut of grain.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

TB II or III will work just fine for bent laminations. Actually any PVA or aliphatic resin glue (white or yellow) will work, but they don't give much open time. You have to be all set up and ready to go. No real time to scrounge up more clamps. Using a urea formaldehyde glue like Keith suggested will give more open time, and provide a good bond.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Use PVA if you can do the glueup quickly and the apron will be secured in
              such a way that lamination creep can't happen. Otherwise, use a urea
              formaldehyde glue like DAP Weldwood or Unibond which will result in no creep
              and a super long open time.

You can find DAP at smaller hardware stores like Ace (and Amazon). It's cheaper than
              Unibond and can probably be found locally. I've used it twice. The first time
              I had great success. The second time, I think it had expired (although it's a
              powder) because it wouldn't mix well with water. I bought the bottle one
              year earlier and stored in my garage before use. Maybe I messed up. It was
              more like sand in water. I ended up buying a container of UltraCat from
              veneersupplies.com which worked well. However, they don't sell small bottles
              any more. 1 pound of powder will probably be enough for you to finish your
              lamination.

If you are ready to glue up, track down a tub of the DAP and test out a small
              portion. If it mixes (there are always a few lumps) well (like pancake syrup)
              and sets solid, it's good to go, go for it. If it's sandy in texture, return it and
              buy the Unibond 800. I've seen Unibond in action and it mixes very well.
              The demonstrator stored unused portions of the Unibond liquid in the fridge
              to extend its life.

Paul
              Last edited by atgcpaul; 08-31-2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• smorris
                • Apr 2003
                • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Thanks for the info everybody, I think I go get some DAP and give that a try.
                --
                Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

Weldwood is probably the better choice in plastic resin glues for bent wood lamination anyway, as it uses water which will help in getting the bend into your veneers. When doing veneer to substrate jobs on flat panels Unibond is better as it won't cause the veneer to curl as much.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Russell, NY, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

A good article in the Oct issue of "Popular Woodworking" about glue. The different types and what they are best used for, the pro's and con's of each kind. Check it out, there is one expressly for bent laminations. Page 51, "undewrstanding Glues, Part 2"
                    RuffSawn
                    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...