• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mleichtle
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Cedarburg, Wi, USA.

Anyone buy veneer online?

How was the expierience? I want to try some veneer panels, maybe table top, you know a pattern of some sort so not huge sheets of the stuff. But it seems too fragile to have sloshin around in a mail truck. Besides anything marked fragile seems to get balled up and crammed into my mailbox. I don't know, I'm nice to the mailperson.
    M. Leichtle
    Beer is proof that God exsists and wants us to be happy.
    Ben Franklin
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've used Veneersupplies.com for edge banding, and will likely use them for some raw veneer for some speakers I'm looking to eventually build.

There's a TON of people who buy veneer online, so I think you're OK. As with anything, it can always go wrong, but that's not the norm. They know how to pack things properly.

Comment

• JeffW
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
      • BT3100

I bought some Jatoba a couple of years ago. It came all nice and rolled up. It flattened out nice and was good to go. I would buy it again if I had the need to.
      Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• just started
        • Mar 2008
        • suburban Philly

Have it shipped FedEx home delivery (ground). They know how to treat a fragile package.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Large sections are usually rolled up, taped, and fitted into a box about 10" to 12" square by whatever length the veneer is wide. Formica is shipped the same way.

You might request the edges of the end grain be taped just to keep them from splitting during handling.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I've only bought veneer online from JoeWoodworker.com and eBay. Most
            sellers are careful enough to tape the ends so they don't split. I haven't had
            a problem with any of shipments. I am always amazed they can cram that
            much rolled up veneer into such a small box. The roll is like one of those
            peanut brittle snakes when you're ready to unpack it.

Paul

Comment

• Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

I've bought some online. Not only was the salesman nice enough to E-mail me pictures of the EXACT pieces I was getting, but the packaging was superb. 2 layers of thick cardboard on the outside, and then another piece between each piece. This whole thing was taped very well, and survived the rigors of UPS shipping just nicely.

I just wish I could remember the name of the company I bought it from...
              Alex

Comment

• Garasaki
                • Sep 2006

check out rjfritz on ebay.

he posts on woodnet all the time and everyone says it's good stuff and good service.
                -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                -Henry Blake

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by BigguyZ

There's a TON of people who buy veneer online, so I think you're OK. As with anything, it can always go wrong, but that's not the norm.

Not that what can go wrong, but what you order online may not be exactly what was in mind. I try to buy all my veneer at local suppliers so I can see and feel what I'm getting. Fortunately I have many sources locally. For those that haven't checked out what is within there locale, it may be worthwhile.

Comment

Working...