• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

cutting a channel in copper pipe

Gent's I want to cut an L channel into a 3/4" ID copper pipe coupling so that I can use it as a twist lock joint to join 2 pieces of 3/4dia anoided aluminum together

I have the following tools at my disposal

hacksaw
    dremel tool

a disassembled BT3100 ( don't ask, unless you live near to Harrisburg NC and want to help me put it back together, with beer in lieu of pay)

and 2 1/2hp ryobi routers... ( one is still mounted in the table of the bt31K)

I figure I should

1. Mark the channel to be cut into the coupling
    2. place the coupling into the vise
    3. get some sort of soft metal cutting bit for my dremel
    4. set the dremel to some range of speed (lo med or high are my choices)
    5. carefully hog out the material I want to remove

or should I abandon this hairbrained scheme and figure something else out?
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I would drill through holes at the three extents of the slot. Then you should be able to use the dremel. Slow is generally better on a dremel with cutting blades and discs. Don't forget eye wear or perhaps a full face shield. This is what I use. It has lots of damage marks where things have hit it.
    Lee

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

As Lee has said, drill holes, then use either a diamond cutting disk or one of those black oxide abrasive disks for the Dremel. Copper is relatively soft, so you should be able to cut it with very little trouble. I've made similar cuts in much harder material. There is also a hacksaw disk available for the Dremel, but you may not be able to find one. And a big double-ditto to Lee's warning about eye/face protection. Some of those abrasive disks are very brittle...

Comment

• pierhogunn
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

that sure sounds a lot more safe than just running an engraving bit through it

Thanks
        It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I'd drill two holes, one at the very end of the channel and one at the joint of the "L" shape.

Then I'd use my X-acto razor saw. If you don't have one, check out the local craft or hobby shop. It will cut copper quite nicely and I think give you much better control that a power tool.

Finally dress up the edges with a jeweler's file.

I'm not sure what you are doing this for, but I'd ask the question about electrolysis, between the aluminum and copper if this was going to be exposed to moisture and stray electrical currents.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...