• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

... to learn from a master ....

... my woodworking interest grew out of my interest in music and more specifically lutherie (building stringed musical instruments). Over time I have built several solid body electric guitars, acoustic flattop guitars, a banjo and two mandolins (the mandolins from kits from Stewart-MacDonald ). The 'art' of lutherie and more specifically building a carved top Florentine style mandolin ( pics ) is definitely a bit daunting ... to this point I have been "self taught" reading books, watching videos and making lottsa instructional mistakes ... I'd classify myself very much a "mechanic" level and far far from an artisan ...

In October of this year I will attend a five day "Siminoff Lutherie Camp" dedicated to building "F style" mandolins and I have to say I am very excited at the prospect. The instructor and leader of this camp is Roger Siminoff . Roger is the author of the definitive text on building F style mandolins and a recognized master of the craft. This would be tantamount to attending a week long furniture building seminar under the direct instruction of Sam Maloof (when Sam was still with us).

The decision to take this step was very much a "teach a man to fish ..." line of thinking for me ... the cost of attending the seminar including travel expense is about equal to the cost of a very nice upper-middle of the road F style mandolin by recognized builders or companies, but I'm hoping to learn enough to get to that level of quality quicker than without the seminar.

I know there are several folks on this forum that are luthiers of one caliber or another and just wanted to share what I have to look forward to. I'll do my best to share some of the experiences via this forum after the fact.
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I wouldn't know where to begin on something like that. But I can say that is really a great looking piece of work! Nicely done. Be careful, you're liable to get hooked on those good seminars.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Man, that sounds like a blast. Enjoy!
      JR

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

So there is no confusion ...

... the pics pointed to above are a 1925 Gibson ... I obviously had nothing to do with making that ... it is however what I use as inspiration
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
          ... the pics pointed to above are a 1925 Gibson ... I obviously had nothing to do with making that ... it is however what I use as inspiration
          Well, that goes to show you what I know.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Enjoy Bade.. since retiring I wish I could attend more seminars and instructional schools especially in some serene settings but.... I really can't afford the classes or travel with the economy.

Enjoy....

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

... Sarge ... I'm not retired ... "yet" ....

although several of my friends accuse me of being "retired on full salary..." I just 'celebrated' 35 years with a 'big blue' computer company last week ... still employed for the moment but it's kinda "day to day" at this point.
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
                although several of my friends accuse me of being "retired on full salary..." I just 'celebrated' 35 years with a 'big blue' computer company last week ... still employed for the moment but it's kinda "day to day" at this point.

Thirty five years...that's admirable. A friend of mine I've know for 30 years is in software, and the companies (many) that he has worked for have been bought out or taken over by others and has expected a "pink slip" regularly.

He is worried though because the young guys out of college will work for less. Taking those specialized seminars are great. You get direct experience from the "experts". Don't forget to take notes. One that looks good is the Roy Underhill Woodwright School.

Comment

Working...