• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krogers
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Garden City, New York, USA.

What thickness of rough lumber?

How much planed lumber can you get from resawing rough lumber? I need a lot of 1/2" cherry for a project. Instead of planing 4/4 down to 1/2", I am wondering if I can save some money by buying 6/4. Let me start by saying I do not have a band saw. Just a table saw, jointer and planer. Can I get two half inch boards from a 6/4 board after planing and resawing with a TK blade on a table saw?
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

You could probably do that. It depends on what the 6/4 actually measures. If it's 1-1/2" you'd probably have enough to work with. If it's 1-1/8" yer scrood. IOW, take good ruler with you.

Bear in mind you will have to plane the rewawn lumber to get rid of the saw marks, square it up, etc.

It also may be worth asking if they have lumber milled to 1/2". At one store in my area they will sometimes have it. That might be cheaper per bf than 6/4.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

I believe it depends on the condition of the rough lumber. Even at 6/4, boards with cupping or twisting may need to be cut shorter to mill for least amount of waste and get to 1/2in after jointing/planing. But without a bandsaw, the BT3 will only give you ~7in resaw (3.5in each side) - does that width fit your requirements?
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

How big do you need pieces to be? If they are small, take a look here:

http://www.walllumber.com/thin.asp

I have not ordered from them, but hear excellent things and plan to order a few of these as I'd like to start making boxes. If you called, they could probably do larger pieces as 1/2" too, they have the tools...

Jim

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Good advice so far.. You should have no problem getting two 5/8" on re-saw and plane to 1/2 boards from true 6/4 rough (as mentioned.. you better take a tape measure.. trust me) as long as the stock is not cupped or bowed. As mentioned that is going to eat up stock straightening it on the jointer.

But.. if you are basically looking at a one timer.. if you don't have intentions of adding a BS.. I would certainly consider Jim's reccomendation of Wall Lumber. I have used them but I hand picked at their site in N.C. But.. Steve is a highly reputable source for shipped lumber. In 8-9 years of viewing forums I have not seen one negative comment on having it shipped but I have seen a ton of thumbs-up comments.

Good luck and BTW... do you know anyone with a re-saw capble BS. Ed Sallee up the road from me will bring several hundred linear feet of 11" Spanish Cedar he uses to build cigar humidor liners as he doesn't have a BS. When he logs so many linear feet (1000 to be exact) he purchases me a new blade. You don't have that quantity and a friend with a BS is an option as he will most likely say bring it over with a 6 pack.

Comment

• Kristofor
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

As several folks have mentioned it all depends on how they're measuring... One of the local guys that I have purchased lumber from seems to always cut thick. 4/4 seems to be 1-1/8 to 1 -3/16th, so on straight/flat stock I can often mill to nominal thickness or just below. On the flip side it's sometimes a struggle to hit 1/4 below nominal with stock from a different supplier...

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

It might work just fine, but you might get that board that really cups (or bows) upon resaw. Not only does that make resawing on the TS ummm, "exciting", but that means you may not have enough material after jointing.

Also, you definitely need to start with a jointed face and perpendicularly jointed edge. But, that jointed face is almost certainly going to need re-jointing after the resaw, when the piece comes back to a new stress and moisture equilibrium. So, figure in a little more jointing loss than usual.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• krogers
                Established Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Garden City, New York, USA.

As always thank you for the responses. Very helpful information. I am after some cherry that measures 1/2"x3"x72" that will adorn a built in bench. So ripping down to size and resawing on the BT3 is a possibility. I couldn't use the small craft quantity from Wall Lumber. But I will call Steve and see if there is anything he can do to help.

Comment

Working...