• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

removing finish

I am just starting a project using some old veneered boards that were part of a bookshelf I made a very long time ago (over 20 years). Although Its now been 4 houses and 2 countries that these boards have followed me around the original finish is still in pretty good shape, IIRC I used BLO.

My plan is to now cut up these shelves and integrate them into some boxes. As glueing will be involved I need to get rid of the finish or enough of it to ensure the glue will adhere.

I just started sanding them down but it looks like the BLO had penetrated the veneer pretty deep if not all the way through. I dont want to end up sanding through the veneer as its really pretty and thats why I kept the boards this long.

So any ideas about how I can ensure that glueing other parts to these boards will work? FYI I did just apply a smear of yellow glue to a small area that I just sanded to test it.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A real heavy cleaning with lacquer thinner should do it. Acetone might be better, but dries pretty fast.

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
      A real heavy cleaning with lacquer thinner should do it. Acetone might be better, but dries pretty fast.
      I just finished sanding as much as I dare and it has taken quite a lot of the surface finish off.

You would of course mention the two things I currently dont have. Denatured Alcohol and mineral spirits is all I have right now I guess there is a trip to HD in my future
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Would any of those solvents harm the veneer's glue? Just a thought.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...