• Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

How Square is Square

I have been building cabinets for some time now and maybe a little late with this question but here goes. Exactly how close to square should a box be? As an example if the diagonal distance measured is 32" on one diagonal and 32 1/16" on the other is that close enough? 32" on one diagonal and 32 1/4" on the other is too far out IMO. So what degree of accuracy is acceptable (of course exact is desired, but.....)?
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I guess it depends on who you are and/or what you are doing. When I was squaring the beams for my shop, IIRC they were about 3/16" out of square on the diagonal when all was said and done. Over 24' I think that is acceptable. On a cabinet I might try to get it closer than 1/16 at least for a few minutes. However there are probably some members here who would want it nuts on. If it were something like a chessboard, I would think that 1/16" out is not acceptable. I would want it as close as I could get it.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

As somebody who's never managed anything as accurate as that (1/16" close), I'd think you are already there!

Unless you are hanging doors with a high degree of finesse, 1/16" difference pretty okay. And even with such doors, the overall size of the cabinet is substantial (a diagonal of 32" implies sides of 20"x25" or 23"x23") enough that that might be close enough.

(What I mean is, in a small box of 3"x3", a 1/16" difference might be tad large)
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

While I might try to do better, I wouldn't throw out such a carcase. However, I would understand that I may have extra work down the road to fit doors, drawers, etc.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks for asking the question because I've been wondering about the same thing.

I shoot for around 1/16 or less.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

At this moment I am working on a hutch to sit on top of a computer desk. It's 58' x 34". The carcass is 1/16" off due to a slight off vertical alignment glueing in the vertical partisions as there are 4. Normally I am dead on but.. a case of too few hands to properly set the components as all had to be glued simoultaneiously.

The trick is not the fact that it is 1/16" off IMO as you sometimes have to accept that given the conditions on how it got there. The trick is how to handle it after the fact as even the finest craftsmans (which ain't me) will encounter problems as such. The solution is accepting the fact and knowing how to compensate for the error as I see it.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

For larger carcases a 1/16" difference in the diagonals shouldn't introduce enough error to cause many problems. Cabinets can spring that much on an uneven floor, or when installed in a row of base or upper cabinets.

You may have to break an edge of an inset door or drawer in order to conceal an uneven gap. But chances are you won't even have to do that.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Cabinet parts that are machined properly and assembled with due care should end up square. Some of the differential can occur during assembly by just not supporting the carcass square during clampling/fastening. Starting off with a differential makes final fitting of parts and pieces iffy. For inset applications, that tolerance can't be dealt with very easily. One cabinet in a group can be problematic.

Comment

Working...