• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Need some functional design ideas for a "study station"

I'm trying to figure out what "features" to add to a gift for LOML. I don't do what she does at the level she does it, so I'm hoping that there's someone here who might be able to give me some clever ideas so I don't spoil the surprise by asking her.

She often likes to start the day reading passages from a very specific book (well, it's a set of books, actually, but bound as one). It's kind of a thick, floppy book, and it's not uncommon for her to want to place several bookmarks at a time. It's also accompanied by a few other books that she switches among -- one is an archaeological reference, another contains a bunch of thoughtful analyses, and then there's a notebook that she uses to take notes on what she reads.

She likes to do this while sitting in a comfy upholstered chair in our "library" while sipping coffee. All these "supplies" get stacked and scattered on a 2'-square side table. The table also has a lamp on it. So far the kids haven't messed with it, but I'd really like her to be able to easily pack it all away and move it when not in use.

So I'm dealing with a few books, probably a reading surface where a book can lay open, pen and pencil, notebook, coffee, a 2x2-foot table to the side with a lamp on it, frequent switching among books (or referencing books), a comfy chair, portability, and maybe more. This is where I'm hoping to hear things like, "I do that too, and I know she'd probably want [some clever feature here]."

And ideas?

Right now I'm thinking a slanted reading surface with a small flat part at the side for coffee, and a groove at the front for pen and pencil, all above a short but deep shelf she can use to store books flat and 2-wide... Ideas and advice will be greatly appreciated!!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Back when I was into "Greek and Hebrew" along with other theology books, I made a "U" shaped desk. IIRC, the sides of the "U" were about 18 inches long and about 16 inches front to back. The base desk was 64 inches wide, 16 inches front to back; 32 inches of space between the "U" for the chair and me. The side and main desk were inclined at about 10° to 15° degrees, IIRC. The slope was perfect for the needs.

This desk was super for holding several large reference books open at the same time and being able to go back and forth between them quickly.

When I left that church, several pastors wanted it. So I gave it away.

For your case, a simple but lightweight (and still strong) "U" shaped desk on castors so that it can swing around her chair or quickly be pushed to one side might be just the thing. If this can be designed and made in a functional manner, I would love to see it.
    Last edited by leehljp; 05-31-2009, 03:48 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

I am thinking you need to make a side table with a section that swings out and up and becomes a reading/book rest table over the chair. With a place inside to store the reading material and related items. When done reading it would all hide back into the side table.

The plans for this are in my head along with the design for cold fusion.

Bill, who is ever happy to help another find a more complicated way to do something.

Comment

• BerniePA
        Established Member
        • Nov 2007
        • San Tan Valley, AZ
        • Grizzly 0575

I think no matter what the final design turns out to be, I think I would junk the table lamp and go with a floor lamp that can direct light onto the table and won't take up space on her table top, especially if it turns out to be tilted!! Desk space gets eaten up too fast to use for something that can be placed beside it instead of on it.
        Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

Working...