• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Jewelers Bench

Jewelers benches are forms of furniture that you might see in jewelry stores that do repairs or make jewelry. They can double as a gunsmithing workbench. They have specific functions and are quite out of the ordinary in scale.

I've only made two (sorry...no pics). The first one was for my 2nd wife that went into jewelry making and repair as a business. Not much info back then on them and it took some research to get the particulars. The second was for a new jewelry store that I did the case work.

What is unique about them is the scale and wide functionality. They are usually about 3' wide, less than 24" deep (more like 18"-22"), and about 38" high. A working height puts the bench top about chest level when sitting. That seems to be a popular and comfortable height.

Most have a raised edge around the top (to keep stuff from falling off). A popular item is a slide out tray/drawer right above the knees. And, another item is the bench pin, which is usually a hardwood insert that pushes into a square mortise below the top. These pins are removable and have different shapes and uses. Some are used to tap and hammer on. Others could be slotted to hold things. They vary widely.

A bench becomes a very personalized piece of furniture that someone sits at for most of the day working at their craft.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I would have loved one of those back in college for making architectural models. There was a nice one on the local craigslist recently, the price they were asking wasn't cheap.
    Erik

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I have a friend that owns a jewelry store that does lots of repair work, and the bench struck me as odd looking the first time I saw it. Next time I'm there I'll study it more closely so I can understand why it is so fugly.

Comment

Working...