Clear All
  • schloff
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Southern Middle TN
    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

pocket door hardware

Hi folks.
    I have an existing ent ctr cabinet that I need to cut down (depth) to utilize in a new application. I have a plan to use a circ saw and remove about 8 inches of the cabinet at the rear, keeping the face untouched, then reinforcing as needed to maintain the structural integrity of the cabinet. Main construction is dado, so I am not overly concerned with the structure, in the way that I am planning on making the mod.

This piece has pocket doors, however, and to do this, I will need to cut the mounting track of the hinge. This will limit the travel of the pocket door by about 2/3 of the original amount, not my main concern. I can add a stopping feature to protect the new rear of the cabinet from the traveling track.

I was wondering about the hardware itself. Do the ball bearings that are installed in the primary track typically have retaining hardware, or are they loose in the track to float with the travel of the door? If I cut the mounting track, will I lose the bearings if I do this?

I am not sure about the brand, but they look something like the attached diagram (if it loads properly). The diagram is a K & V, but these might be something other, I am using the K & V as an example only.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post. I apologize if I haven’t made myself clear.
    Attached Files
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The sliding member is usually captive to the bearings. It will slide to the rear of the cabinet member. Keep in mind that the overall width of the door, and the hardware should be somewhere around 3"-4" less than the slide to have the door pocket completely.

You didn't say the length of the slide, and the width of the existing door. If you wind up having to cut the slide, and the moving sheath with the bearings will pass out the back in order to have the door pocket completely, you may have to live with the door protruding some when pocketed. If you have to cut the sheath, you will have to figure out how to captivate the bearings. I've never had to do that. I've always ordered the size to fit the opening.

Comment

• schloff
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Southern Middle TN

Thanks for the reply, Cabinetman. I think you answered my question, perfectly. And it was what I wanted to hear.

The pocket feature is being compromised, for sure. This isn't the issue any longer as she is not using it as an ent ctr. I am modding it to receive a mirror, lighting, and peg boards (to hold fer hair dryer and curling irons) on the inner door. This will be in the bathroom to hide all of her crap that makes her pretty. The stuff that I don't want to look at any longer, she can just close the doors and turn the light off. (I'm thinking of installing an auto (refrig style) light switch).

I won't be compromising the moving sheath, or the bearings. Just the track that they ride on, and installing a "stop block" so the sheath won't smack the new back of the cabinet (mirror at this point). This will be the absolute end of travel for the doors. The doors will protrude in the "pocket" condition by about 8 or 10 inches after I mod the cabinet I would imagine. They are about 18 1/2" wide each. The interior space is 38".

Thanks again.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I don't have a set of that hardware right now to look at, but I pulled a set of full extension slides out to take a peek. On the brand I have, the sheath with the bearings has little square teeth encapsulating each upper and lower aligned bearing. It looks like it could be cut in between them. But isolating the sheath from its track to make the cut might be a problem if you have to do that. Your assembly may be quite different than a drawer slide, but I thought I'd mention it for S&G's.

Comment

• rnelson0
          Established Member
          • Feb 2008
          • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
          • Firestorm FS2500TS

I am modding it to receive a mirror, lighting, and peg boards (to hold fer hair dryer and curling irons) on the inner door.
          And what magical force will actually hang the hair drier and curling irons on the hooks you install?

Comment

• schloff
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Southern Middle TN

National Hanger has these for $4. Something like this for the dryer, I suppose. I have lots of peg accessories, but this might be great for that application.

Her irons have hanging tabs that would go on any standard peg board hook.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...