• Show
Clear All
  • pbui3057
    Established Member
    • Jul 2008
    • Mather, CA
    • BT3000

Haunch?

I am building a table and am using mortise and tenons for the legs and apron. I always see haunches used and referred to. I understand what they are, I just don't understand why they are needed. I was just going to use stub tenons and mortises. Do I need the haunch for anything?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by pbui3057
    I am building a table and am using mortise and tenons for the legs and apron. I always see haunches used and referred to. I understand what they are, I just don't understand why they are needed. I was just going to use stub tenons and mortises. Do I need the haunch for anything?

A haunched tenon isn't necessarily a stronger joint especially if it isn't well fitted. They are used primarily for alignment purposes to keep the parts from becoming uneven on the face side, and keep the joint from twisting. Misalignment of a regular M&T would be the result if it were an ill fitting joint to begin with, allowing the shoulder to move.

There are various shapes that can be done to create the haunch, and could add some strength because of an added gluing angle or surface not in the same perspective as the main part of the mortise, and acts like a key. To get a good fit may benefit the joint, but not getting a good fit is easy to do as you can't see or feel the mating surfaces while test fitting.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Unless you are building a large table as in conference or large dining room.. the standard mortise and tenon will be find.

Comment

• pbui3057
        Established Member
        • Jul 2008
        • Mather, CA
        • BT3000

Thanks guys. I have used m&t joints once before but wasn't sure what the added benefit of a haunch would be. I am building small kids tables that are pretty much the size of coffee tables.

Comment

Working...