• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

I need to drill a 1" diameter hole in solid brass

I'm making a couple of carving hammers with round brass heads. To attach the handle, I need to drill a hole 1" in diameter and 1 1/2" deep in solid brass.

I don't have a twist drill that large, and they seem very expensive. I originally planned to use a Forstner bit, but, everything I could read, only mentions use in wood.

Can I use a Forstner? Spade? Or, one of those round top bits you can use on glass?

Am I stuck having to buy the 1" twist drill bit? Only three holes necessary. Any suggestions on a cheap way out.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

I would think that a carbide tipped Forstner bit at a slow speed would work.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Brass is relatively soft to drill compared to other metals. I would suggest using a bi-metal hole saw with an adjustable center pilot drill. Have a minimum pilot depth to the outside cutting edge. Mark or set the depth on the DP and drill slow with a cutting lubricant. Once you have reached the depth, you can hog out the inner waste.

It can also be done with a carbide tipped forstner bit, on slow speed in the DP, and using a cutting oil. You'll have to allow for periodic cleanout of brass cuttings.

Whatever method you use, make sure you have the subject material well braced.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Good timing with your question. I also need to drill three 1" holes for a missing plate for one of my Wiltons. It won't be as deep, probably in alum too (already have that) maybe 1/8" steel.
        Erik

Comment

• charliex
          • Mar 2004
          • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
          • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Find a 1/2" steel or brass rod and drill the hole with a 1/2" bit. Put the rod in the freezer and get the brass head hot: Quickly insert rod. When it cools it should be in tight. Drill the handle for the rod and epoxy in. You may have to pin the head to the rod if it don't fit tight enough. OR you could thread the rod and tap the hole. (my choice) I have a small brass peen hammer that I made over 20 years ago with this method.

If you are turning the handle you could make the tenon the same size as your largest bit and pin, epoxy or CA the head on.
          Good luck with whatever you try.
          Chas

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

Thanks for all your ideas.

I have a couple of extra 1" HSS forstners, that I can sharpen up. If I go slow with cutting fluid at the slowest speed, what's the worst that can happen?

I'm impatient, I don't want to wait for a 1" carbide to be delivered.

Steve

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by scmhogg
              Thanks for all your ideas.

I have a couple of extra 1" HSS forstners, that I can sharpen up. If I go slow with cutting fluid at the slowest speed, what's the worst that can happen?

I'm impatient, I don't want to wait for a 1" carbide to be delivered.

Steve

You'll be able to tell if they dull out. You may have to dress 'em up to finish. Try not to resize them. Maybe wear eye protection just for S&G's.

Comment

• drillman88
                • Dec 2007
                • Southeast
                • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

This may sound a littlle weird but with regular twist bits a duller bit sometimes works better on brass. Brass is soft and tends to grab sharp edges the duller edge will cut but not grab.I have never tried a forstner bit on brass so I am not sure if this will apply but if the sharp one grabs a duller one may work .
                I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• thegman
                  Handtools only
                  • Apr 2009
                  • Baton Rouge, LA
                  • RYOBI BT3000

You might check out this link that has a few tips and feeds and speeds.

http://metalworking.majosoft.com/html/how_to_drill.html
                  Just because my service to this country is over doesn't mean I wouldn't suit up again to defend this country from Terrorism

Comment

• Len
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Cary, NC
                    • BT3000

In my machinist days I made several brass hammers using the technique CharlieX suggests. They all lasted long enough to get "disappeared" by someone too lazy to make their own.

Use a spiral flute 3/8 or 1/2in end mill to clean out the waste if you go with Cabinetman's suggestion about the hole saw.

Len

Comment

• scmhogg
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                      • BT3000

Update

I glued the brass heads to a piece of plywood with Gorilla Glue. I used a 1" HSS Forstner. I set the drill press speed to 200 RPM. As I was afraid that the brass might grab the bit and break the glue joint, I slightly loosened the belt drive. I wanted it to stall rather than try to spin the blank.

It was slow going. The chips were too heavy to be ejected. I had to stop every few seconds to vacuum the chips out of the hole with my shopvac. I used cutting fluid, though I'm not really sure it was necessary. I had to drill a 1/8" pilot hole, as the center spur had difficulty with the brass.

I was surprised that the drilling generated very little heat. The bit was just a little warm to the touch. Over all it was pretty easy, and it made really nice hole.

Sorry the pics are a little blurred. The shiny brass throws the auto focus off.

Steve

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Lookin' good Steve. Remember that famous statement..."I just love it when a plan comes together". Good thing that the glue held, could have been a real spinner. I might have gone with a Jorgie clamped down.

Comment

Working...