• Show
Clear All
  • RyFitz13
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Terryville, CT, USA.
    • BT3100

Fixing/Hiding bad dadoes in plywood...

A couple nights ago, I started work on a pair of base cabinets intended for my basement shop. I cut the dado for the carcass bottom, but forgot to account for the 2x4 sill I'll be placing the cabinets on, so the dado was actually cut 1.5" too high. I figured at first, just cut the correct dado from the opposite end (what would've been the "top" of the cabinet carcass), and this incorrect dado will be simply hidden away inside the carcass.

Now that I've slept on it, I'm not sure that leaving the "bad" dado is the right approach. I'm not sure if it'd hurt the strength of the cabinet any, and it's possible that the dado will land almost exactly where I need to mount the drawer glides now.

So, what's the best approach for me to correct this mistake? I've got plenty of scrap poplar lying around - but it's 1x stock, so I'd have to either resaw it just a little bit to make it fit the dado that's intended for the slightly-less-than-3/4 ply or widen the dado to house poplar. Alternately, I could just rip down some of my ply off-cuts to fit nicely into the dado - the appearance of the ply's in the middle of the veneer wouldn't be a problem, since they're hidden away, but would I run into problems with their integrity?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I would cut a well fitted piece of solid wood and glue it into the dado. Do like you said and make that towards the top where the drawer goes.

Comment

Working...