• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

DOH!! Measure twice; Cut once

So there I was feeling good in the shop with the way my step stool turned out. So back to work on my dresser. I mounted up a dado blade in my saw and dadoed the drawer sides and front for the bottoms and backs. I then added a few more chippers to bring the stack to the thickness of my 3/4" ply that I used for the dust frames and proceeded to cut the sides for them. First one 2" up from the bottom, next one 12 3/16" up from the bottom for a 10" drawer, and on adding 8" then 5" then finally 3" +3/16" each time for a slightly loose fit. I get done and dang it just does not look right.......

WTF I forgot to take into account the width of the dado!

Out comes the planner to thin some 4/4 oak scaps I had laying around. I then had to remove the dado stach, remount my 10" blade and riving knife and cut some filler strips. The sides are now drying. Later I'll have to plane all the fillers even with the plywood. Maybe tomorrow I can recut the dust frame dadoes. Good thing this is only the inside and after I add the face frame no one will ever see my mistakes!
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

It wasn't really that bad. If I remember right, the last time you got surprised, you ended up in the ER.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Bad luck Mark.

There was obviously something in the air today. If you saw my earlier post I ended up wasting a few hours after I thought it would be a good idea to adjust my miter slots and then realized I had just lost the setting for all my sled.

Today must have been SatDUHday!!
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I've heard it said that man becomes the most creative when looking for ways to hide his mistakes. No place where that is more true than in the shop...

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I just hate it when something like that happens, not that it's ever hapened to me....
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

What the h#ll? I thought it was; "measure once-cut twice"
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• jabe
              • Apr 2006
              • Hilo, Hawaii
              • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Everybody makes mistakes, I know , I've made my share. Next thing is how can I cover it up so it won't be noticed or start over with a new peice of wood and not to mention the extra cost $$$$.
              When i make 2 mistakes in a row, I just call it a day and put everything away and open a cold one.

Comment

• cobob
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Rolla, MO, USA.
                • BT3100

I always thought it was "Measure twice, cut once, cuss & swear, go to store for more wood"

Comment

Working...