• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Hook
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Access Hole for Cat in Frame and Panel Door

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for cutting a hole through a frame and panel door (see pics below) to provide access for a cat?

Would the door be structurally sound if a 7" square or circular port hole were cut in the center of the bottom rail that is 11 inches wide?

Would the structural soundness of the door be improved if the hole were centered along the bottom edge of the bottom rail?

Would a hole with an arch (or a circle) provide more structural soundness than a hole that is square?

Any other ideas?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Uncle Hook; 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM. Reason: grammer fix
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

Rounding the corner of the cut out will help it retain strength. I'm not sure if it'd work on that door, but I bet it would on a door with 3 horizontal pieces in it.
    Alex

Comment

• Shep
      • Nov 2008
      • Columbus, OH
      • Hitachi C10FL

I'm guessing leaving the door cracked open is out of the question. That's a pretty door to cut a hole into. If this is a door that gets a lot of use, 7" gone might cause the rest of the bottom board to break. You might be able to reinforce the opening somhow (ie. steel, wood trim, etc.) to prevent problems with the door from happening.
      -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Unless the cat is really old or fat you should be able to cut the hole in the panel and leave the bottom rail intact.

Another option is to make the hole through the wall and leave the door alone. Trim it out like a real 'people' door and it will be a real conversation piece.

Bill,
        Last edited by Mr__Bill; 03-26-2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• jlm
          Established Member
          • Oct 2005
          • Austin, TX

I'm with Mr. Bill - if at all possible, I'd try to find a way to put the access hole in a wall, not the door. If you cut up the door, it's ruined forever (and old doors are hard to replace, especially if you want them to match the rest of the home). If you cut into the wall, you're only a couple pieces of drywall and some mud and paint away from repairing it if you should ever want to.

Unless you reinforce the remaining wood somehow, cutting 7 inches out of that 11 inch bottom rail would probably not be a great idea. I would expect the rail to break eventually if you remove that much material.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

If the wall opening isn't an option; I'd leave that door alone and build another one with an integrated cat door.

You could just put in a half door and install a catapult on either side.
            Erik

Comment

• capnjack2
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2007
              • East Setauket, NY
              • BT 3100

Leave the door alone. Cut a hole in the wall next to it and fit a flap in there. You trim it out just like a small doorway.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Leave the door alone, leave the wall alone, and just get rid of the cat .
                Joe

Comment

• RayintheUK
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

AFAICT, the photographs show that a wall access is impractical. I would either let in a steel brace across the bottom of the door to counteract any weaknesses introduced if you intend cutting the bottom rail, or just cut the panel.

Bear in mind, though, that cutting the panel alone for the cat flap will mean that the lowest point of entry will be quite high. Only you know if your cat can make use of such a high entry.

I'm replacing our rear entry door cat flap soon for one that reads the ID microchips in our two cats, keeping all others out. Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Ray
                  Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

What about getting a cheap hollow core door from a big box, staining to match and cut a hole in that? That way, if you ever want to sell the place, you can just put the door back in.
                    Joe

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Have to remember that the cat door does not have to be near the people door. It can pierce any wall that is accessible.

Ray, I like the cat door that reads the microchip it will keep the raccoons out.

Bill for raccoons in the house see: Raccoons

Bill, now on the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Just a bit of math now (geometry, actually).

a 7" wide circle in the middle of the rail would leave the rail the strongest. It would leave the most wood remaining on the rail, with the thinnest part being the 2" at just the highest and lowest points of the circle. IMHO, that should not weaken the door substantially, but maybe a steel reinforcement would set your mind at rest.

considerations
                        - i have never seen a circular pet door; always rectangular/square. do they know something we don't? (maybe pets are scared of circular holes ?)
                        - This will make the hole 2" and above the floor. may not be a problem, but if you cut the panel, 11" minimin height might be an issue
                        - Cutting a door is more 'portable' than a wall. you could take the door to the next house you move to (if)
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• RayintheUK
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by radhak
                          - I have never seen a circular pet door; always rectangular/square. do they know something we don't? (maybe pets are scared of circular holes ?)
                          They're common over here, radhak. Ours is fitted into a double-glazed entry door.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	circflap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	784112

Ray.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2007
                            • Tacoma, WA
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by RayintheUK
                            They're common over here, radhak. Ours is fitted into a double-glazed entry door.
                            [ATTACH]12750[/ATTACH]

Ray.
                            Ray, that looks real interesting, I assume the round hole is because it's real hard to cut square ones in glass. On this side of the pond glass that close to the floor has to be tempered glass that tends to break into little pieced when you try to cut it. Can you, over there, order a glass door with a round hole in it? That sure would make things easier.

Bill, over here on the Oregon Coast

Comment

• RayintheUK
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2003
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                              Ray, that looks real interesting, I assume the round hole is because it's real hard to cut square ones in glass. On this side of the pond glass that close to the floor has to be tempered glass that tends to break into little pieced when you try to cut it. Can you, over there, order a glass door with a round hole in it? That sure would make things easier.
                              Yes, circles are easy to cut in glass. We have the same safety regs regarding glass here. I ordered a double-glazed unit (with a pre-cut and sealed hole) to replace the lower unit in the existing door. I kept the original lower unit to re-install, in case any subsequent home-owners don't need/want the cat door.

Ray

Comment

Working...