• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Making your own wood putty

When you make a project sometimes you won't find a putty that matches your wood color or species. I solved this problem by making my own putty. I collect my sanding dust from my PC RO sander, place it in an empty baby food glass bottle and mix it with denatured alcohol. Mix it to yes you guessed it wood putty consistency. Whenever the putty dires up in the bottle, just add more denatured alcohol. It'll take stains better than commercial putty.
    I've also mixed the wood dust with 5 min. clear epoxy to fill larger defects. If it's a deep defect/knot hole, apply the epoxy in layers, do not fill it up in one application.
    To cover up the puttied or epoxy area after final sanding or 1st sealing coat of finish: I use brown, black or orange colored sharpie pens to make it look like a knot or darker colored wood grain. It takes practice to blend it in with the wood grain but, after the last coat of finish, most people won't notice it, only you would know.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I've used sanding dust and glue. I will have to try the alcohol.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Doesn't the alcohol evaporate and allow the sanding dust to just blow away? There is no binder, is there?

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

I woud have thought what cgallery said, but I'll try it. Like others, I've only used glue and sawdust until now, never really happy with the results though.
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

+1 with Cgallery.

There seems to be a need for some kind of binder. Does the denatured alcohol some way soften the dust to a putty like mix?

Comment

• klefkow
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2006

I have heard you should use the wood dust mixed into the finish you are going to use.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

As klefkow points out, typically you are puttying brad holes and the like, near the end of the project. I wonder if it works because a finish is applied fairly quickly. I'm pretty sure lacquer is a good binder.

Otherwise, I'm with Cgallery, something has to hold that stuff in place.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• jabe
                • Apr 2006
                • Hilo, Hawaii
                • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Yes I usually use the putty just b4 spraying. The denatured alcohol does make it stick/bind pretty well. I apply the putty, sand it lightly w/320 by hand and spray water base lacquer. I've had times where I had to leave the putty in over nite with out it falling out and if it does fall out just reapply sand lightly and apply your finish. I like denatured alcohol because it dries fast and has not reacted with the Deft water or solvent base lacquer. I haven't tried it with poly finish but I don't see a problem with that. Most of your commercial putty that dried up can be rejuvinated with denatured alcohol. Hope this helps.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Has anyone tried using standard "natural" (says it will take stain but I have my doubts) putty mixed with the gel stain they are using on a project... if you happen to be using gel-stain. I have always used saw-dust but when a stain is not used but... I intend to try this today and just wanted a take on if anyone has already traveled the road?

Thanks...

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

I have, with mixed results. It's very difficult (for me, at least) to get the color anywhere near right. If you want a marble sized piece of putty, I would suggest starting out with a lot less, because it tends to get darker than I want it. If you start out with the size you want to end up with, by the time you get it to the shade you need (by adding more and more putty), you end up with a golf ball sized piece!
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Interesting option I must try it. I have never really liked the sawdust and woodglue approach as the woodglue always screws up any stain or finish.

I have had more success with the sawdust and Cyanoacrylate (super glue) approach. It works great with cracks and sealing knots.

I first apply some CA into the imprefection and then sand the area (and/or mix with some saved sawdust) as it dries which mixes the fresh sawdust into the glue as it seeps into the troubled area.

this is NOT a good solution for large problems but works great (IMHO) for small ones.

DO be careful with the sandpaper as the combined CA and sawdust will gum it up. I tend to use odd saved scraps for this. The sanding I do as part of this operation is NOT a replacement for normal finish sanding and is done before you do that. If you try to just sand the whole workpiece at the same time with the same piece of sandpaper it can easily leave large marks because of the gummed up bits.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

Working...